• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help "decoding" a 1970 Roadrunner

i thought the wider trim on door panels was for the bench seat and the thinner ones if car had bucket seats ?

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I found a very interesting car this weekend at Carlisle:

After reading through this thread I went to the garage and checked mine. It is routed the same way. It's also an LA built car with a scheduled production date of October 5,1969 though the door sticker has it as a December build.

After reading through this thread I went to the garage and checked mine. It is routed the same way. It's also an LA built car with a scheduled production date of October 5,1969 though the door sticker has it as a December build.

Very cool. Another one. Hopefully many of us learned something about the construction of these cars. I wonder if it was just CA cars, and for how long this method lasted?

I guess I will now NOT drill my firewall for the hoses!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Hawk

Hawk,Tallhair...I'm late in answering but I'm answering none-the-less..

My car is indeed an N 85 car...here's what my tag reads..

N85 N96 R11 V21 V8X 26
V1X A36 G33 J25 J45 M21
EV2 H2X9 TX9 903 046084
E63 D21 RM23 NOG ...THEN VIN#

It's an early August 69,St.Louis car but it now has bucket seat,18-spline tranny and 3:54 Dana-60.I've just fired up the re-built 383 that me and a friend built so we're in the tuning stages.I'll post a build thread when it's running right.This is the first time I've ever yanked a motor out of a car.First time I've built a motor.First time I've installed a motor.You guys get the picture.This project has been a blast.
I'm running across more and more pics of air-grabber cars with firewall hoses closer to the center of the firewall than above the can.Howz your restoration coming along?

Dave

Hawk,Tallhair...I'm late in answering but I'm answering none-the-less..

My car is indeed an N 85 car...here's what my tag reads..

N85 N96 R11 V21 V8X 26
V1X A36 G33 J25 J45 M21
EV2 H2X9 TX9 903 046084
E63 D21 RM23 NOG ...THEN VIN#

It's an early August 69,St.Louis car ....................

Dave

Hi Dave, can you be sure about your car being an August car? The numbers on your tag suggest September. Just curious. :thinker:

The scheduled production date on the tag does not necessarily mean the car was built then.

I remember hearing that the hood bulge mounted turn signals were not available with an air grabber... I could be wrong, tho!

I wish my 70 had those...very cool

- - - Updated - - -

Baller you're in Delta? Is your RR an EV2 car as well?If so I think we've ran into each other in Surrey once...

...[/QUOTE]Baller you're in Delta? Is your RR an EV2 car as well?If so I think we've ran into each other in Surrey once...[/QUOTE]

Hey Dave, I'm out in Ladner. The car is FC7 and not quite ready for the road...

IMG_0069.JPG

I know Photon is from Surrey, but don't know what color his car is. May have been him?

My 70 GTX also has the aigrabber hoses routed through the center of the firewall. It has hood turn signals and also the GTX emblem 'delete' above the glovebox. St Louis built. 911 - early build. Its a 3 owner car. 2nd owner from 86-2010. Matching eng#,fendertag/rad core support,vin & trunk stamp. I heard somewheres that the early cars had no GTX dash emblem also?

cheers Dave

DSCF2063_zps6a82e31f.jpg

DSCF2009_zps05a00ad4.jpg

My 70 GTX also has the aigrabber hoses routed through the center of the firewall. It has hood turn signals and also the GTX emblem 'delete' above the glovebox. St Louis built. 911 - early build. Its a 3 owner car. 2nd owner from 86-2010. Matching eng#,fendertag/rad core support,vin & trunk stamp. I heard somewheres that the early cars had no GTX dash emblem also?

cheers Dave

Dave,

Thanks for sharing! So now we have examples of cars both from St. Louis and LA that have the center routed hoses. At this point all the cars appear to be early cars, so maybe the switch to the location above the can was an improvement added later?

Sorry but I can't help you with the GTX emblem question...

Yes, wrong. My car has both.

Same here :)

- - - Updated - - -

Dave,

Thanks for sharing! So now we have examples of cars both from St. Louis and LA that have the center routed hoses. At this point all the cars appear to be early cars, so maybe the switch to the location above the can was an improvement added later?

Sorry but I can't help you with the GTX emblem question...

My '70 GTX has the GTX emblem on the glove-box, Air-grabber and hood mounted turn signals, also has the hoses routed through the firewall just above the heater hoses. Build date on tag is May 27.

Auto Transport Service
Back