• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help "decoding" a 1970 Roadrunner

OK, I found one picture - it's not very good as far as the trunk light switch details, but it is a start. Again, I'll try to get a better picture some time today...

Correction to my above post, this pictures shows what I was describing as the light which is of course the switch shown. The light socket itself was up under the front area of the trunk

thanx for the pic. i have the pin switch mount on my car but i need to know where to mount the actual "light bulb" ... thanx in advance!. glad i could help with the door panel mystery.

tpodwdog:

Here are a few pictures. I took a couple of the switch as well in case someone needs it.

Sorry about the bad quality of the pictures. It was quite dark in the garage and my camera was not happy about focusing really well. If you need additional details or better pictures let me know.

Both pictures of the lamp socket are looking from the passenger side to the driver's side of the trunk. The switch is on the driver's side of the trunk near the upper corner.

Hope this helps!

Hawk

Attachments

• Trunk_Switch1.jpg
    Trunk_Switch1.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 352
  • Trunk_Switch2.jpg
    Trunk_Switch2.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 351
  • Trunk_Lamp2.jpg
    Trunk_Lamp2.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 358
  • Trunk_Lamp_Socket.jpg
    Trunk_Lamp_Socket.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 360
For those wanting to see my interior panels...

Attachments

• Door_Panel1.jpg
    Door_Panel1.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 348
  • Door_Panel2.jpg
    Door_Panel2.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 328
  • Pass_Rear_Panel.jpg
    Pass_Rear_Panel.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 344
  • Pass_Rear_Panel2.jpg
    Pass_Rear_Panel2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 359
  • Driver_Rear_Panel1.jpg
    Driver_Rear_Panel1.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 350
The woodrgain appears to be tack paper, not OEM. If you peel it off, you will find black painted or chromed trim there.

I would have to say that the car probably had the decor pkg along with the V88 stripe delete (hence the pin on trunklid emblems). The low-line door panels probably came out of the car that donated it's air grabber for you car. This is all just educated speculation ;-)

My guess is the b pillar chrome was added and the car did not have the Decor package as I`ve seen a lot of them shouldn`t have that chrome piece.The door panels may be original and the seats changed.

I am in PA also and have a 70 Road Runner FJ5 RM21N0G N95 N96 383 4-speed almost a twin to yours i bought about 4 years ago. Mine has fender tag, Medium priced interior code, no decor package and the same interior panels as yours, plain steering wheel without the ring and mine has the B-Pillar trim which sure looks like it was there from new. I had two other 70 RM21 383 FJ6 4-speed RR's in my time, one in 73 and one about 12 years ago so i am also a fan!! The one i had in 73 Had the plain taxi cab style interior also with black upper panel and arm rest base trim being black with standard no ring steering wheel and did not have decor package or B-Pillar trim but i am not sure what was on the fender tag i was too busy making the cylinders into an egg shape and doing fish hooks!! How i ever survived that ride is beyond me, had air under two of the tires on the same side one night racing my cousin around a corner in a 67 Shelby GT 500. The other one that i had about 12 years ago had the fender tag and it was a low priced interior code on the fender tag it did not have B-Pillar trim and it had the same plain interior. I believe and am almost sure that when you got the medium interior with-out upgrades and without decor package you got the plain interior and B-Pillar chrome trim. When you got the low priced interior you did not get the B-Pillar trim. I myself and trying to confirm the steering wheels i believe if you did not upgrade the medium interior you would have had the plain wheel with-out the ring and if you upgraded the medium interior or got the decor package you would have had the wheel with the horn ring or maybe the decor package cars all had the woodgrain wheel i am not sure. Broadcast sheets should prove this one way or the other but i don't have mine.
If i were you i would leave that car the way it is built when i restore it yes the other interiors may be nicer to look at but originality always rules in my book too many cobbed or mocked up ones out there already just my opinion PM sent

tpodwdog:

Here are a few pictures. I took a couple of the switch as well in case someone needs it.

Sorry about the bad quality of the pictures. It was quite dark in the garage and my camera was not happy about focusing really well. If you need additional details or better pictures let me know.

Both pictures of the lamp socket are looking from the passenger side to the driver's side of the trunk. The switch is on the driver's side of the trunk near the upper corner.

Hope this helps!

Hawk

Thanks for the PM. I've just been reading through this whole thread and you have a nice car, fender tag or no. I agree with those that say do what you like with it but i definitely understand your holmesian efforts to discover how it was originally built through the clues the car gives you. Good luck getting the title sorted out and getting it on the road! Shoot some exterior pictures now!

Here are a couple exterior shots. I have a video of me driving up and down the road, but I don't think I can post that...

20120403_1055.jpgPB230110.jpg

I have a 70 air grabber car that has the air grabber hoses going towards the center of the firewall like Hawk"s does...does this mean my car had the air grabber added after the fact as well?Fender tag says it's an N-96 equipped car...

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_2387.jpg

Dave,

Thanks for the post. Of course, now I am back to being unsure about my air grabber. With my car, I do not have a fender tag or broadcast sheet. Everything is, at best, educated guesses based on the evidence of the car and general production methods.
Everything on my car seems to match up that it is an original air grabber car. If it was added, the air grabber setup was added very early in the car's life, maybe even by the dealer. Every air grabber part is installed per the factory, except, it seems, the hose routing.

You car then becomes very interesting. The forum experts and experience seem to indicate that air grabber cars had the hole punched out for the air grabber hoses. You can see this per the earlier posts.

What level of trust do you have that your fender tag and VIN match the body of the car? A partial VIN should be stamped on the radiator support and under the trunk extension. Do these match on your car?

If they don't, then the "vin" of your car may have been used on a donor body of another car. On the other hand, if they do match, then you have a documented example of an air grabber car with different routing. If you can check for these on your car and let me know, I would be most grateful!

I have a 70 air grabber car that has the air grabber hoses going towards the center of the firewall like Hawk"s does...does this mean my car had the air grabber added after the fact as well?Fender tag says it's an N-96 equipped car...

I don't know what happened on the lack of firewall hole in (#1) but if your fender tag says N96 it's legit (barring some trickery). Has the car ever had body work on the firewall?

Your hoses are routed (on the hood only) like my original (replaced missing w/ original AG hood) hood fender tag N96 car. But my car has the factory hole punched (your pic #1) for the vacuum tubing. Wonder why yours does not? Mine is also a N85 tic-toc car and you firewall appears to have the same plug (your pic #2) as my car. Does yours have N85 on the fender tag?

IMG_2387 2.jpg

Last edited:
1970 Air Grabber Hose Routing

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I found a very interesting car this weekend at Carlisle:

The car in the pictures below is a 1970 Road Runner with a 383 and an air grabber. It has the fender tag confirming it as an air grabber car. What is interesting is his car was made in October of 1970 in Los Angeles, just like my car.

Note his air grabber hoses route out the SAME LOCATION as my hoses, and his firewall is not drilled. (Yes, I know, the hoses are routed in the wrong location on the hood, but this doesn't change the fact that his firewall has not been drilled.) The bottom line here is this: All 1970 air grabber cars did NOT have the hole drilled for the air grabber hoses.

Why this is I do not know. Perhaps they started out without drilling the hoses and then "improved" on the design mid year. Maybe they were using up 1969 fire wall metal until they ran out. If I am not mistaken, the cable operated air grabber units exited in this area.

Regardless of the reason, I am back to believing that my car was built with an air grabber. My car has all original pieces, weathered and old, and all match the colors and paint of the car. It even has the original solenoid and proper colored hoses under the dash, mounted in the original location.

At any rate, here are the pictures of the car. P.S. Thanks to John for letting me photograph and crawl around his car...

Hawk

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

Hawk, what is it in the Fender Tag tells you it came with a air grabber?
I'm not sure and just asking, but 'm thought N94 was the air grabber option.

the fender tag from my RR really doesn't tell you a whole lot, just enough to know it is a keeper.

fender tag2.jpg

Attachments

• fender1.jpg
    fender1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 204
Hawk, what in the Fender Tag tells you it came with a air grabber?
Inot sure and just asking, but 'm thought N94 was the air grabber option.

N96 is the code for Air Grabber. It's the upper most left code of that fender tag

N96 is the code for Air Grabber. It's the upper most left code of that fender tag

X2. Thanks Tall.

And for those that care, N97 is the noise reduction package, mandated for CA cars. Basically what this meant was that exhaust tips were not installed, and the exhaust pipes were instead turned down towards the ground. I believe that N95 was the CAS (Clean Air System), which changed the gas tank and added a vent return line back from the engine that "percolated" fumes into a tube in the trunk. The raw fuel then could run back to the gas tank. If you look at the picture, you can see the black breather that has three nipples on it. One is for the air cleaner, one for the carb (not hooked up on his car), and one for the return line.

Wonder how long it took our west coast friends to cut those down turned tips off?!? :icon_fU:

Hawk

Auto Transport Service
Back