• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help decoding engine ID pad?

SoCalSat

Local time
1:26 PM
Reaction score
Can anyone help decode the numbers on the front pad of a 400 engine? It reads like this:

5T400
5 23
E

Block casting number is 4006530-400-5 ('76-'78 400).

Not sure what 5 meaning is but you say block casting is 76-78 400
T= Trenton (400 and 440 Only)
April 23 built date ( Edit: 1968rt informed me about what I have long suspected that I can't count. It is actually May 23 Build date )
E= Cast Crankshaft

Last edited:
Thanks guys, does this engine have any bite or is it a slug? It's a stock 400 2bbl. I can get it for free which is a plus, but I don't want to run it if it's a boat anchor..

Last edited:
I would take any and every free 400 I could get!
Stock low compression 2bbl motors are a slug, but help out the airflow with some decent heads that improve compression, add a mild cam and a four barrel and headers....nice engine.
And a 400 block is the best foundation for a stroker monster wedge there is!

Thanks 33, that's a good way to look at it! The stock motor by itself isn't very inspiring.. Any suggestions on heads and cam?

Well, if I thought the shortblock was serviceable, and budget is a consideration (when isn't it) I would do what I said above.
As for specific parts? Probably a set of 440source heads (or better, pro maxx) milled down to 75 cc, and a steel shim head gasket,, in place of the 90cc iron stockers (pick up 1-1 1/2 points compression) a very mild hydraulic cam (still more aggressive than a two barrel stocker!) probably a small cam and lifter kit from summit house brand, or better, a small lunati, around 215-220 at .050. Then an edelbrock rpm (or one of the cheap copies) and either a 650 or so edelbrock carb or brawler. Finish off with an inexpensive set of headers to fit the chassis.
If I was forced to make a guess, I think that combo would pick up 100hp (or more) over a stock 400 2bbl, and still be a nice driver.

That is not what I am gonna do with my 400, however.

Thanks, that just jogged my memory—I have a brand new Edelbrock manifold sitting on the shelf collecting dust. So that's a place to start!

If I decide to go in a different direction and just flip this motor instead what are they worth roughly?

Auto Transport Service
Back