• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help ! Edlebrock performer Intake too high for Ramcharger air Help!

70KILRB

Local time
10:12 AM
Reaction score
I have 70 Super Bee with a stroked 440 with an Edlebrock Performer intake. Now my hood won't shut! Any fixes out there? Thanks for any direction.

Do you have the 383 base plate or 440 base plate. Try a Lower air filter. Then if it’s still too tall it’s your intake manifold that would need to be changed

I think your intake is to tall,measure your old one and compare.Post a pick please.

I had exact same problem in two cars over the years with Performer RPM. For the 440 I put an Edelbrock CH4B on it and it just closed.

They do make lower air cleaner bases. May have to get the entire top and bottom pieces.
Here’s a dropped base off summit.. if it close, these bases will work. If it isn’t close to fitting then...plan b

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-85-3549

A Performer intake should not be taller than stock. Either you have a taller Performer RPM or the wrong baseplate.

If you are talking about the Performer RPM, there is no way it will work with the stock air grabber hood. Went through this myself a couple years ago. Like posted above, the standard Performer should fit fine.

Oh, I've been here before. Only the stock intake & maybe the CH4B + one other stock height aluminum intake will fit. With a stock intake, you have about 1/2"-1" extra clearance. At 1" the hood will rub the decals off your air cleaner, but the hood will still close.

Really doesn't work with the F.I. set-up

DH Engine.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back