• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help- enginensiezing when trans mounted.

Thanks! I'll bolt them together tomorrow night after work. The up side is the trans guy said it looked like a recent rebuild and had a heavy duty front drum. He didn't look into it further (ie no idea on shift kit) but that's a good sign!

Also noticed I have no kick down lever? Anyone know where to buy one? I have a kick down cable, but no where to bolt it too!

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate you all sorting this novice out.

I have the trans fixed, found a guy that did it fairly cheap. I have had to polish up the converter stub as it had some surface rust on it, so the strand guy didn't install it for me. I've got it al ready to go, I just want to triple check that the converter is engaged properly. Does this look right?

View attachment 244617

5/8" doesn't seem like quite enough. Did you rotate & wiggle the converter and FEEL it pop back toward the trans? I can always tell when it engages the pump drive tangs. Pull the converter back out & do it a few times until you can feel that difference I'm describing. You will almost never just put it up on the splines & have it slide on all the way. Measure the dimension from the crank flange to the back of the block, how does that compare to the 5/8 "? The 5/8 seems like the dimension after the trans is bolted to the block and you have pulled it forward into the crank. Triple check it!!

Also hope you don't have a "shift kit". I installed one in my street Barracuda in 1973 & within a few thousand miles, had a smoked Torkflite. That's when a buddy showed me how to rebuild Torkflites, been building my own since. If you want better shifts, get a brand name valve body (Cope, Turbo Action or ...).

Triple check it!!

Ha! Just reminded me of a HS shop teacher I had...ex pro boxer. If I asked the wrong question, he would pound on my shoulders with his fists...saying, hell, I know that, and I've had my brains beat out!

Just kiddin'. If you don't know, need to understand the deal.

Success! Thanks guys. Lots more work to go now though...

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Looks like it is getting ready for one of those down-under road warrior movies! Where does the flamethrower go?

Thanks! It's a fairly low compression engine in the scheme of things but hopefully I'll get enough to lit up the tires and shame some of the locals!

Donno about road warrior but I am fond of a black car! Did consider some early 70's side pipes but I don't think it's going to quite suit the whole look.

Auto Transport Service
Back