• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP! Holley 770 ‘68 440 727 kickdown

73BlueBoat

Local time
7:17 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys new to just about everything. I’m wondering if anyone has experience with Holley vacuum secondary carbs on a 440 paired to a 727 3-speed. Car is a 1973 Dodge Charger Charger I bought off my buddies father for a steal. Started off as a completely stripped car, everything is put together and theoretically will run just needs gas and the carb hooked up. I’m wondering if anyone has experience with these style carbs, any pictures of similar set ups, particularly pictures of others kickdown and any modifications that need to be done. Any tips or wisdom is also welcome.

C8DE609E-0D1C-43B4-A3D3-72175B836B54.jpeg

Last edited:
Do you have the mopar throttle adapter on the Holley? Do you have an aftermarket intake manifold or stock? A closer picture of current carb/intake/linkage would help with advice.

FYI - Lokar makes a cable kick down kick that for B/RB/727 that is quite adaptable.

I would suggest using the Lokar throttle/kickdown cable kit they sell. Easy to install and problems solved. Trying to find the combo kit part #.

Do you have the mopar throttle adapter on the Holley? Do you have an aftermarket intake manifold or stock? A closer picture of current carb/intake/linkage would help with advice.

FYI - Lokar makes a cable kick down kick that for B/RB/727 that is quite adaptable.
Factory intak

factory ‘69 intake, needed a spacer for the choke to clear the intake, factory cable hold down and kickdown. I do not have a throttle adapter, just the throttle assembly from Holley. I will look into the lokar

I would suggest using the Lokar throttle/kickdown cable kit they sell. Easy to install and problems solved. Trying to find the combo kit part #.

im going to look into that, let me know if you find the #. Check out my previous reply for a little more info. Thanks!

You can lengthen the throttle pressure adjusting rod pretty easily. Use apiece of 1/4" pipe threaded internally connected with a short piece of threaded rod. Making and extension piece for the cable is also easy. its just apiece of .060" material with a hole in each end. The biggest thing you need is the pivot on the Holley to be the same distance from the throttle shaft as the original carb. Otherwise you will never achieve full throttle travel. This is a Magnum with an Eddy RPM intake. But the idea is the same
Doug

20200323_171321.jpg
20201009_185724.jpg

You can lengthen the throttle pressure adjusting rod pretty easily. Use apiece of 1/4" pipe threaded internally connected with a short piece of threaded rod. Making and extension piece for the cable is also easy. its just apiece of .060" material with a hole in each end. The biggest thing you need is the pivot on the Holley to be the same distance from the throttle shaft as the original carb. Otherwise you will never achieve full throttle travel. This is a Magnum with an Eddy RPM intake. But the idea is the same
Doug

View attachment 1271574 View attachment 1271575
Just what I was looking for, that helps a lot, thanks!

Update, I ordered Holley 20-07 and 20-67. First going to try that and modifying the kickdown linkage if needed for proper travel (I have a couple extra). I’ll post an update and some pictures if I get to It this weekend

Last edited:
Just what I was looking for, that helps a lot, thanks!
The threads on the rods on early set ups is 1/4-28. Not easy to find pipe or coupling nuts in fine thread - but you can cut your own .

Doug

What did you do to correct the pivot point of the cable to match the original?

What did you do to correct the pivot point of the cable to match the original?
Either drill a hole in the carb. Or look at the kickdown arm on the trans. There are a few different lengths. If you can't get the right length, cut the trans lever and weld it to the correct length.
Doug

Doug

Edelbrock makes a kickdown rod extension, it used to be cheaper to buy than make. Looks like their price has about doubled, may be cheaper to make your own now.
Edelbrock 8003 Edelbrock Intake Manifold Installation Accessories | Summit Racing

Auto Transport Service
Back