• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identify rockers ID stamping, valve spring thoughts.

rkohlman2013

Local time
5:22 PM
Reaction score
I just picked up a 67 Coronet that has a rebuilt 383 that i know nothing about, besides the inside is clean, and the gaskets look new, and it has good compression @155 +/- 2 psi. My question is the springs and rockers dont look stock. Im looking to do a cam upgrade and dont wanna waste a bunch of money swapping good parts. Can you guys give me thoughts on these rockers and if these springs look like the have been upgraded. The rockers have stamping on them, and the retainers look bigger with dual springs. Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks
Ryan
B95329D1-613A-4288-A9CC-0D08A15B5B99.jpeg

52B30E02-A227-463A-8E7F-68FB5C1180D0.jpeg

A51FD613-EF85-4BB7-931B-EF9DD67EF2F3.jpeg

03F53FE3-7FCD-4AAA-917E-DF4B23F4244E.jpeg

IMHO the only way to know what the springs are is to test them. Get a valve spring tester and measure the PSI at the installed height and at the expected full open height. There is a lot of variability in valve springs. Also many opinions on what works best. Cam manufacturers tend to lean a bit light on springs compared to race guys. Just sayin.

Yeah i get that, not trying to figure out what they are, but just confirming they are not stock springs. Mopars stock are single springs correct? I have only built Pontiacs and Buicks in the past and this is my first Mopar so really didnt know.

They could be a stock HP spring, or a hemi spring, but they aren't the lo-po pen springs.
They're a single spring with damper.
The rockers are stock stamped steel, if they're newer looking probably fine

They could be a stock HP spring, or a hemi spring, but they aren't the lo-po pen springs.
They're a single spring with damper.
The rockers are stock stamped steel, if they're newer looking probably fine
Cool thanks for the help.

Over the years I collected many, many OEM Mopar BB heads. They were all a single spring.

i measured them, they are 1.55 OD and installed height of 1.88-1.9ish.

IMHO, they are definitely aftermarket springs. At 1.88 that would indicate aftermarket raised height retainers or machined pockets.

Auto Transport Service
Back