• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identify this wiper switch!

warrenc

Local time
4:06 PM
Reaction score
Hi all!
First post here, and I apologize in advance since I don't currently own a Mopar....:happy11:
I actually own an Avanti II, which I believe has a Mopar wiper switch! I just can't figure out which one it is. I stared out thinking it was a standard 69-73 switch with a different knob, but on further research it appears to be closer to a 68-69 Charger or SuperBee switch, but not exactly. It has a resistor on the side of it, but it also has the washer switch in the middle of it too. I'm not sure why the picture of the front of it is loading sideways.... 20140727_121925.jpg20140725_152141.jpgThanks for any help you can give!

That looks like a factory install, but I thought Avanti used a rotary knob for wipers, same as a '71 Valiant. What year is this from?

Thanks for the reply! Yes, it is a factory install on my 73 and I'm pretty sure they used them until at least 76, but I've yet to find any of my Avanti contacts who can name where it came from except that it looks like a Chrysler switch! (Although some though it might be AMC, and they did borrow some parts from their bins, too.)

- - - Updated - - -

Here's another view of the switch. It actually works fine, I'm just curious where it came from...The bottom picture was when I was changing the guages!20140727_121939.jpg20131107_190243.jpg

I agree, from some angles it looks like a Mopar switch, but I'm not aware of one with the integral washer button. I guess if all the switch designers from different companies went to the same Rocker Switch Institute of Technology, you'd get some similarities from one to the other.

Changing gauges, that explains it. I wondered why the earlier picture showed the wiper switch next to what looked like a fuel gauge instead of the oil pres. :)

Say, if you really would like to fit in here, you can show us pictures of how you're fitting in a new Chrysler Hemi and six speed transmission. :)

It looks like you're not that far away, and I actually drive through Surrey on a regular basis, so if you have a Hemi sitting there we can work on getting it stuffed in there! I think hood clearance could be an issue, though....:icon_scratch:

Darts have frames? You'd better have pictures of this build. :)
Rats! You've seen right through my carefully crafted hyperbole!
So, back to the switch: We're pretty sure it doesn't exist in the Mopar world? There are no part #'s but it does seem close in design. I seriously doubt that Avanti Motors had it made just for them.

One thing that Chrysler liked to do was stamp part numbers on things, even if they were sourced elsewhere. You're right, I don't think Avanti would put the money into a bespoke switch, but keep looking and you'll find the source. It's a simple design yet elegant, who knows. It would fit in a Porsche, Jaguar, Oldsmobile, Imperial...but I'm surprised that someone in your circle of Studebaker contacts hasn't figured it out yet.

Is your car equipped with the 400 or 350 engine? How does it drive and handle? Were the hog troughs in good shape?

-=Photon440=-

Mine was the first year of the 400, but even with all the bad things you hear about them it has never overheated and actually seems to have pretty decent power. Enough to break the tires loose in the first two gear, anyway.
Sounds like you know your Avantis pretty well. Yes, the hog troughs are solid and it handles like new! Which probably isn't saying much considering when the front suspension was designed! The Dunlop disc brakes are in good shape, and the A/C works, which is a must have in an Avanti!
Finding parts is kind of like a treasure hunt; you never know where you'll find them and you have to do a little digging sometimes just to find out where they came from originally. So far I've sourced parts from Mercedes, Jaguar, GM (obviously), Ford, AMC and maybe Mopar, maybe not....Oh, and Studebaker!

And Studebaker, you say? What are the odds? :) Are you in some sort of club or group for the Avanti? I've known people with trucks with the 400 sbc that had no problems. Lots of torque though.

Anyway, enough preamble. After further sleuthing, I've come to the conclusion that your wiper switch is in common with the 1972 AMC Matador. And no, I haven't found any sources for new ones. I did find some references to them though, and a couple of pictures. One guy on eBay was selling a Matador dashboard...with the switch missing, but the distinctive shape in there. I also have this picture:
72-AMC_Metador-DV-09_GC_i002.jpg

And there it is on the bottom of the dash area. I haven't looked further to see if this was also on the Ambassador, but given the similarities I wouldn't be surprised.

72-AMC_Metador-wiper.jpg

UPDATE: Okay, I looked around and found that the 1972 Ambassador also used that rocker but the '73 did not, having instead the usual rotary knob for the wiper.

Last edited:
Wow, nice work! I suppose it's a good thing my switch is in good shape, though. It's hard enough to find parts like the Javelin or AMX style mirrors that they used on my car. I don't suppose there's a lot of interest in making repro Matador parts!
I suppose it's logical they would use and AMC switch since they also used the same Prestolite wiper motor that Avanti used.
Again, many thanks for solving this mystery for me!

You're right, at least there are people with an interest in the Javelin and some parts are out there. Unless you're looking for an Adam 12 car, not many people want a Matador. Although I see that another 1971 Matador Machine has surfaced recently. But it's all in the adopted family, since Mopar bought AMC.

Anyway, with the mystery out of the way, don't be a stranger. You can still contribute with general car knowledge...and maybe pick up a b-body someday. :)

Still wondering about those wheels that are on yours, they look good on that body.

-=Photon440=-

The Magnum 500's were the stock wheels on Avanti II's until the late 70's, as I recall. Borrani wire wheels were an option during the 70's and became pretty common in later years.
I will try to stop in again and contribute if I can, but my brother was always the Mopar guy in our family! One of my first cars was a 66 Coronet 500 with a 69 Super Bee 383 in it. I'd love to have that beast now. Probably worth more than the $500 I paid for it? Had a 4 speed with 4:11 gears, never lost a race in that car! Used to embarrass my friends 69 Roadrunner back in the day.

Auto Transport Service
Back