• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP, In the planning stages of a 70!!

sparkie573

Local time
3:41 AM
Reaction score
Ok
so I know this may start a long thread, and any and all information or input is greatly appreciated. Here we go.
I am about 6-8 weeks away from getting home from Afghanistan and I am in the planning stages on a 70 B body build. "still have to locate the car" but hey you have to have a plan. And I want to be able to hit the ground running.

My goal here is to pick at peoples brain to see what is the best combinations of parts, the best bang for the buck, and the easiest of installation, if some things work better than others, and how well everything will work together.

My goal for the car is; a dependable driver that I can throw the wife and kid in and drive to wherever I want, and also be able to beat on it a bit. I will be doing all of the work myself along with a few buddies and together we are more than capable of building a complete car so I will be able to save a lot on the labor. That being said my ideal budget will be in the neighborhood of 25k give or take. I really don't mind spending the jack on parts but I do enjoy the build and being able to figure out and do things myself.

Planning on doing a 5.7 or 6.1 So I will have questions on which electronics work best and have ease of tuning and mods and is the cheapest or the best bang for the buck. And also which engine car or truck works best for ease of install with a/c and power steering, don't know if I need power steering if I get say a 16:1 box?

Planning on a 5 or 6 speed manual So there again I have questions on what is best, easiest to swap and holds the power. t56, a tr6060 or a tremec and the advantages to either.

as far as the suspension. I haven't figured out yet if what I am wanting to do. either go with the xv tubular k member and coil over conversion or. Weld and reinforce the k member and install tubular uppers reinforce the lcas', bigger Tbars, sway bars, tie rod sleaves and firm feel stearing box. Because by the time I go that far the price isn't that much different but is the xv worth it?

The rear suspension. there again I could either relocate the leaves and go hotchkis or build a 4 link coil over set up or maybe a triangulated 3 link. If I do go with the xv front I will definitely do the rear coil over as well but what will work the best?

As far as the brakes I am undetermined so far as I have saw some pretty slick conversions that I like that seem like they would save a bit of coin. I am probably going to do 17 or 18" wheels and 4 wheel disks. I do like the viper caliper conversion. So definitely needing advice here as to what setup works well and doesn't "brake" the bank.

And for the body. Not to much in mind here as I do like the stock looks I will be stiffening it all up with subframe connectors, torque boxes front and rear, lower radiator brace, fenderwell braces, and possibly an engine bay brace. All of which being home fabbed. Did I miss anything here?

The interior mostly all stock with the exception of some different front seats to better hold me in, and the stock dash with most likely custom gauges and probably vintage air.

I will be tearing the car apart and doing everything at once so NOT doing it in stages.
As I said I really appreciate any and all information and opinions and anything that I may have missed or something that could be better feel free to point out.
Thank you all. there is definitely a wealth of knowledge on here and I do appreciate it.

a good way to start is to get a good spiral binder with at least 6 seperated sections and lable each section.example would be,engine,chassis,electrical and so on.do a real good inspection of the car you get and fill in each section with what you want or need depending on wallet.organization is the most important thing in making a build easy.
from there it will all depend on the quality of car you get.some mods may have already been done and you will not have to adress them.

Thanks for serving our country!

Auto Transport Service
Back