• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP ! Need measurements 66-70 B body console and 4 speed!

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:25 AM
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I'm in the middle of a Tremec 5 speed conversion in my '70 Charger and I'm having some trouble.
I need the measurements for a STOCK 4 speed console plate.

I bought another set of console plates to modify because I read that the A/T plate can be modified to work.
I need the measurements for a stock 4 speed similar to what I measured on the photos below.

SST 32.jpg
SST 314.JPG
SST 315.JPG

The problem I am having is that with the console in the factory location, the A/T console plate had the opening too far to the rear. I'd have to move the console forward 1 1/2" or so to be able to use the A/T top plate.
Can you help a brother out???

I got no measurements but this should probably give you what you need... Those lines in the casting might as well be measurements..

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 6.26.33 PM.png

That helps show that the cutout does run to that inner chrome ridge as opposed to leaving a thin section along each side.
That dip down section should be the same on all models. The section between it and the opening is much bigger than on the one I have.

Do you have the off set shift handle adapter?

Do you have the off set shift handle adapter?
Yeah...It isn't enough though.

SST 20.jpg
SST 289.JPG

Wow...THANK YOU for the pictures.
The 4 speed top edge is about 2 3/4" forward of where the A/T opening is.

I am in the process of putting my car together along with the auto to 5 speed conversion. I have a new 4 speed plate along with an automatic plate I can measure for you tomorrow. I can also take pictures if will help you?

Thank you. I think that I understand now though.
I may still be able to make this A/T plate work. The Tremec 5 speed has shorter throws and the point where the shifter attaches is higher so the opening does not have to be as big. I might be able to cut more out of the top and the sides. Also, there is some fore/aft adjustment to the placement of the console.

Make a new adapter. Its not to hard to do. With little measuring it should be pretty easy for you.

Auto Transport Service
Back