• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help! Starter Relay Threads Shot

eagleone1983

Local time
12:44 PM
Reaction score
Hey Guys the two bolts that hold the starter relay to the firewall won't tighten all the way. They just keep spinning an it looks like the threads are shot on the firewall side. Do I just retap them or should I get a bigger bolt? Anybody ever run into this?

There is a little play in the holes on the starter relay but I'm not sure a bigger bolt would fit without drilling the starter relay holes bigger so I guess I'll have to do that this weekend and then tap the firewall. So far the reassembly is already going slower than I thought :)

I ran into this AFTER my engine compartment was painted, and not wanting to burn it up by welding and grinding, I thought of a neat little fix. Cut a thin strip of sheet metal, maybe .080" wide and about 1/2" long. Bend it into a U so it hangs in the stripped hole with one leg out and the other inside. This may take a couple of tries but it can be done. The extra material in the hole takes up space so the same screw can be used. You may experiment with different widths, lengths or an asymmetric bend. And you can rotate the strip so it's behind the component. I did this with the voltage regulator and ballast and they seem to be holding well.

Another possibility is to use riv-nuts but I had tin snips handy.

A little trick from the construction industry... Stick some fine gauge wire in the hole and thread the bolts in. It might tighten the unit up nicely.

Thanks for all the good ideas. I'm going to try a few of the other suggestions before putting a nut on the other side, reason being if I ever have to take it back of for replacement that nut wouldn't be in the easiest of spots to get at.

I had same problem and same concerns about nut on inside. I installed a "nutsert". It is basically a rivet type device that is threaded on the inside. I think used one for 1/4-20 machine screws. Just google 'nutserts'. It takes a special tool to install them, but maybe a local body shop will let you borrow one. I use them a lot. Great for attaching stuff to blind holes, like unibody or boxed frames.

Auto Transport Service
Back