• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with fuel bowl flooding

Sonny

It’s all fun til the rabbit gets the gun.
Local time
8:09 AM
Reaction score
I recently bought 3 new 2300 carbs. I had to replace the rear carb’s center hung bowl with a side hung bowl. I used the center hung bowl’s needle and seat, bought a new side hung float, tapped and plugged the outside fuel hole that would typically go from primary to secondary bowl (for single inlet carbs), and it will not stop overfilling the bowl. It runs for 10 seconds until the bowl is completely full then floods and cuts off. Remove the sight screw and fuel flows out heavily. Pinch off it’s fuel line and it purrs forever. I’ve adjusted the float level, bent the float so the needle would close even sooner, still over fills. There was some debris in it from tapping the hole, removed it but that wasn’t the problem. Does the side hung bowl have a different needle and seat than a center hung?? Open for suggestions.
4AD57BCB-DFCD-4B89-9744-1BB423FD8989.jpeg
97D2A4BE-DFA4-400F-BAE8-A2F5C8B6944F.jpeg

I swapped out the needle and seat with another one and it’s fixed.
shew. thanks

I swapped out the needle and seat with another one and it’s fixed.
shew. thanks
The needle actually wasn’t the problem as the problem returned as I had adjusted the float against the floor of the bowl instead. That stopped the flooding but no fuel!

Solution: Turns out I didn’t install the springs under the side hung floats. Didn’t know they existed as neither the bowl conversion kit nor the side hung float kit included one. Neither included the e clip that holds the float on the shaft either. I just happened to see the spring in a photo on line. Anyway, condition fixed!

Auto Transport Service
Back