• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help with hose sucked shut

furyus

Local time
11:09 AM
Reaction score
I have a 64 Sport Fury. 440/tf. put on a new water pump, and upper and lower hoses. Drove the car, and noticed it was a little hot. Opened the hood several days later, and the upper hose was sucked shut. When I removed the cap, the hose popped back out into shape. I have heard of the lower hose collapsing, but not the upper. What causes this? If the fix is a spring in the hose, where do I find the springs? None of the Rock Auto hoses had springs, or I would have bought them. Thanks.

But was the hose sucked shut while the car was running and hot? I'll bet it wasn't...

I just ran the car for a while, and the hose was fine. checked temps with the lazer, and all was good. Will check on it tomorrow, and see if it has sucked closed again.It may have been an air pocket or a bad cap. I need a really good quality one like we used to be able to buy.

Are you sure the stat is opening? I'm trying to imagine a scenario that would cause this and all i can think of is a system that has some air in it, a stat that is locked closed and a water pump that is pulling on air at the top of the system, sucking the top hose closed. Maybe I'm way off.

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe the hose is sucked closed only until the stat opens? This could mean there is air in the system, then when the stat opens, the hose is stops collapsing..

Is this an electric pump with no bypass? If you have no bypass line this will happen. The fix is to either install a bypass or if the pump is not set up for it drill some holes in the t-stat.

If the hose sucked shut and stayed that way for several days, the only thing it could be is a bad cap.or something in the overflow hose or bottle.

Resolved on the A-bodies forum......a plugged radiator vent/drain hose does things.....

First get a lower hose with a spring in it. The only thing that can cause the hose sucked in is the cap is not venting on cooldown which it vents to a vacum on cooldown and it pulls coolant from the overflow bottle so yes if the hose from the rad to the overflow bottle is clogged it will also not let the system pull coolant back in on cooldown. Ron

And whatever you do don't loose her phone number! :pimp_daddy:

I am a mechanic and the first thing I would replace is the radiator cap. I would almost bet my roadrunner on the cap causing the problem. The little vent valve on bottom of cap will be stuck.
Hope this helps before spending money on hoses etc.

As previously said, replace cap, and vent hose. Very common problem when these fail.

Wow, thanks for all the replies. Yes, it was the overflow tube completely plugged up. Fabbed up a new tube/hose, and all is good. You guys are great.

Auto Transport Service
Back