• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with pushrods

BeeKool

Local time
5:24 AM
Reaction score
The rocker assys that came with my motor are too worn.

A few months ago I brought a good set of crane gold rocker assys from a member here.

They will not work with the pushrods I have. The new rockers are the adjustable type and need pushrods with cupped upper ends.They current pushrods are 5/16" diameter x 9.25ish in length.
Any advice or links would be appreciated.

It would appear as though I need 9.25" x 5/16 pushrods with cupped ends.
Or will 3/8 work as well?
20180218_181650.jpg
20180219_180152.jpg

Summit should have them, I had to order special pushrods even the length and they had them in stock. I would assume 3/8" would be a stiffer rod making them a bit stronger.

Smith bros are great, they make to order and don't take long. I've heard good about Manton's also but never used them. 5/16 usually good unless you've got a lot of spring pressure from what I understand if you go to 3/8 you may have to clearance the area around the push rod, depending on what kind of heads you have

Smith bros are great, they make to order and don't take long. I've heard good about Manton's also but never used them. 5/16 usually good unless you've got a lot of spring pressure from what I understand if you go to 3/8 you may have to clearance the area around the push rod, depending on what kind of heads you have
My engine is mild. 452 heads Eddy cam.
Rocker assys were just heavily worn, I was told the assy I purchased would work.
Do the upgrading to the 3/8 from 5/16 effect the hydraulic lifters in any way. Lifters are new but stock.
O'Reillys can get me 9.29" by 3/8c w cupped upper end. I just wasn't sure if they're work.
Summit should have them, I had to order special pushrods even the length and they had them in stock. I would assume 3/8" would be a stiffer rod making them a bit stronger.
Summit was the first place I looked but I'm finding their pictures and description of pushrods to be inadequate

Which size motor? B or RB? My opinion, go with the chrome moly 3/8" in case you up size the cam/springs. A good idea to double check with lifter manufacturer, seems like the height may vary a bit. Different manufacturers measure the length differently, so using a pushrod checker will give the tip to cup length.

I have a new set of crane cup/ball push rods for a hydraulic cam RB block if needed. I use smith bros. for custom rods but you need to know how to measure for them. details on your cam and heads would help, and why are you are going to adjustable rockers? just trying to make sure your not spending money that you don't need to. those gold rockers will most likely increase rocker ratio that may have a negative effect on valve springs and seals.

I have a new set of crane cup/ball push rods for a hydraulic cam RB block if needed. I use smith bros. for custom rods but you need to know how to measure for them. details on your cam and heads would help, and why are you are going to adjustable rockers? just trying to make sure your not spending money that you don't need to. those gold rockers will most likely increase rocker ratio that may have a negative effect on valve springs and seals.
Wish I'd saw this post earlier.
I'm going with the adjustable rockers cuz they're what I have and I scored them on the cheap.
They're like brand new.
I just got some comp pushrods ball/cup today that arr the same length as the ones theyre meant to replace and have some slightly shorter ones coming in a few. So between the sets one should work

The rocker assys that came with my motor are too worn.

A few months ago I brought a good set of crane gold rocker assys from a member here.

They will not work with the pushrods I have. The new rockers are the adjustable type and need pushrods with cupped upper ends.They current pushrods are 5/16" diameter x 9.25ish in length.
Any advice or links would be appreciated.

It would appear as though I need 9.25" x 5/16 pushrods with cupped ends.
Or will 3/8 work as well?View attachment 573641 View attachment 573642
Do you want to sell the 5/16 push rods

By I will sell these pushrods:
20180224_151353.jpg
or the Gold Rocker Assy
Or some shorter pushrods. Comp Adj. Cup/ball.
But the pushrods are 3/8

Auto Transport Service
Back