• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with value & provernance

lee01

Local time
10:32 AM
Reaction score
I'm in the B body WTB at the moment.
Theres one few hours from me that doesn't look bad
So its a Barrett-Jackson car that was bought by Jensen motor then imported in Canada.
I found nothing about this car on the Barrett-Jackson past auction. Seller don't know who built it. Probably just a euthausiast and not a shop, but since you guys knows alot, maybe someone seen it before.
Also priced at 39k CND +-31K usd, do you think its priced right?
1972 GTX clone (satellite sebring), 440 auto
$_59.jpg

$_59.jpg

$_59.jpg

It looks like a very nice car and you certainly could not build one for that price but I would think for 31k usd, you could get yourself a very nice 71-72 "real" Roadrunner/GTX of the same condition. I don't have any issues with tribute cars but they generally have a lower re-sale value so if and when you decide you want to sell it, you may get that kind of feed back. A few things I see is that it does not have the proper seats although I really like what they did. Those look really good to me and fit nicely. It's hard to tell but it appears they panted the dash wood grain black and used high gloss on the steering column which kind of stands out. It also has the 71 roadrunner grill in it and not the 72. I am not putting the car down in anyway as these are small things but to me, that price seems a little high for this particular example.

If you don't care about all of that and that is an okay price for you, then I would just make sure the body work has been done well so it doesn't come back to haunt you later. I would hate to spend that kind of money to have the paint start bubbling in a year. I would also check to see if that is a real air grabber hood and not conversion hood from a satellite. If it is a conversion hood, I would just make sure its clean and pieced together properly. One is very expensive to buy , the other very expensive to make.

I hope this helps and good luck with finding a car. You can't go wrong with a 72 but I am severely biased :).

It looks like a very nice car and you certainly could not build one for that price but I would think for 31k usd, you could get yourself a very nice 71-72 "real" Roadrunner/GTX of the same condition. I don't have any issues with tribute cars but they generally have a lower re-sale value so if and when you decide you want to sell it, you may get that kind of feed back. A few things I see is that it does not have the proper seats although I really like what they did. Those look really good to me and fit nicely. It's hard to tell but it appears they panted the dash wood grain black and used high gloss on the steering column which kind of stands out. It also has the 71 roadrunner grill in it and not the 72. I am not putting the car down in anyway as these are small things but to me, that price seems a little high for this particular example.

If you don't care about all of that and that is an okay price for you, then I would just make sure the body work has been done well so it doesn't come back to haunt you later. I would hate to spend that kind of money to have the paint start bubbling in a year. I would also check to see if that is a real air grabber hood and not conversion hood from a satellite. If it is a conversion hood, I would just make sure its clean and pieced together properly. One is very expensive to buy , the other very expensive to make.

I hope this helps and good luck with finding a car. You can't go wrong with a 72 but I am severely biased :).
I know its not an original RR, and been a ''clone'' the overall package attracted my eyes. But a I agree, for the money, I might be able to score something that will retain better money.

Clone are nice when you don't need correct numbers match stuff, want to put wheel, and upgrade...create the car you want and look....otherwise, cloning to make it appear authentic nope not liking that though.

For my 2 cents, that's too much for a 72 Satellite. Good looking car though

Nice looking car. Everyone has made good and correct points. Its a personal choice of how to spend money. Acquisition costs are cheaper for the "base" car (e.g., Coronet vs Super Bee, Satellite vs Road Runner, etc.). However, when you start the process of repairing and restoring and making it what you want, those costs begin to equalize. In the end, though, the Super Bees, Road Runners, etc. command the higher price because of demand and desirability. However, the builder of a Satellite / RR clone is going to want his money, too.

I believe too many people wade into this hobby blind. Need to determine your pain level ($$$) first. Then find the car and work the numbers, acquisition cost + what's needed = your budget (hopefully). So many projects start off happy and fun, then when the work starts and costs pile up, some don't have the resources (time, money, skills) to complete it, and the project beomes hated and abandoned. If money is no object, though...buy what you want and spend away!

Just do your homework so you end up happy.

Nice looking car. Everyone has made good and correct points. Its a personal choice of how to spend money. Acquisition costs are cheaper for the "base" car (e.g., Coronet vs Super Bee, Satellite vs Road Runner, etc.). However, when you start the process of repairing and restoring and making it what you want, those costs begin to equalize. In the end, though, the Super Bees, Road Runners, etc. command the higher price because of demand and desirability. However, the builder of a Satellite / RR clone is going to want his money, too.

I believe too many people wade into this hobby blind. Need to determine your pain level ($$$) first. Then find the car and work the numbers, acquisition cost + what's needed = your budget (hopefully). So many projects start off happy and fun, then when the work starts and costs pile up, some don't have the resources (time, money, skills) to complete it, and the project beomes hated and abandoned. If money is no object, though...buy what you want and spend away!

Just do your homework so you end up happy.
True that, I need to rethink because been down the road of the good and the ugly
I had a 74 Challenger Stroker Small Block 416 (that I shouldn't have sold....but it was for a '12 Superbee 392), 73 Rusty 360 Cuda and a rust free 71 Duster in parts....

I'm did post it here because maybe someone could chime in beeing ''barett jackson'' car....and generaly what goes on the auction block is pretty nice and wanted to find the shop who build it....or its just a fake selling feature....

Don't be fooled by the Barrett Jackson baloney. I went to the one in West Palm Beach, Florida, and unless it was a Friday night or Saturday car, which all were very nice, the quality could range from nice to cobbled junk. If you don't go see the car you plan to buy, you get what you deserve.

True that, I need to rethink because been down the road of the good and the ugly
I had a 74 Challenger Stroker Small Block 416 (that I shouldn't have sold....but it was for a '12 Superbee 392), 73 Rusty 360 Cuda and a rust free 71 Duster in parts....

I'm did post it here because maybe someone could chime in beeing ''barett jackson'' car....and generaly what goes on the auction block is pretty nice and wanted to find the shop who build it....or its just a fake selling feature....
I would think a car that was sold/bought at Barrett-Jackson recently would have the paperwork still with it. The cars I saw in Scottsdale all had some sort of banner/poster with the car when parked.

I've seen "cobbled together" go through on Friday/Saturday as well.

That close up cam can show all sorts of bad body work signs.

I'm not sure "provenance" is the right word to use when dealing with a clone, since the simple fact of being a clone is basically faking provenance, unless you mean who built it and the parts and build quality.

It does loom like a nice car from here.

Looks like a nice car. But in the end, it's a customized Satellite. That's where your thinking starts. How much you want to pay, is how much you like said customized car. Provenance does not apply here.

Barrett Jackson is a joke too. They set up shop in the high rent district, fill it with rich folk, give them free alcohol and drive the collector car market through the roof.

BJ is only in it too make money. Guess their initials say it best.

Nice car, but that is a big price for a 72 satty, forget the clone/tribute/fake stuff.
It is what it is, no matter who sold it.
The car has to stand on its own and the only way to tell that is hands on in person then its still a crap shoot as far as under the paint and inside the engine/drive line.
It looks nice in pics , good luck to you in your hunt for a nice B body.

If someone bought it and is punting it this quickly I'd avoid it. Also being a clone I'd say it's over priced I'd keep looking !

You didn't post a price but I personally don't care for the 74. It looks like a nice car if you like them though

It looks good. There's several Mopars parked around it. Dealer? Thinning the herd? How much? Condition? Original drivetrain? It looks good, but these aren't as desirable as earlier cars. Price should reflect that. You still need to go see it.

I was offered this GTX for my '12 Boss Mustang.
Owner asking C$35K
--this is a numbers matching car engine hp 440 ,727 auto rear 355 gears im second owner this is a gtx roadrunner car striped top and bottom painted org.silver, new stripes new seat skins int. mint, new bumpers,stock engine with headers and 3in exhaust .have stock mufflers and org. rally wheels 58,000 miles, asking C$35000

Auto Transport Service
Back