• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP!

Thunder65

Local time
7:01 AM
Reaction score
Ok so now I have my first very beautiful Mopar.....have wanted one for 40 years.........
And I was sold a bill of goods. Purchased from a supposed Mopar expert (ya right) up in Commack NY. The car, I was told was perfect, (BS to the hilt) brand new 440 etc....So I bit and bought it.......SUCKER!!
I don't know anything about the engine except the first problem was that the drivers side rocker shaft was put in upside down, we all know what that does. Had the rockers, shafts replaced with a high quality set, thought I was good to go...... not so fast.
Next day huge knocking sound, same side, loss of full power....then this
Two broken rockers, two bent rods. Notice that the bent rods are beside the broken rockers?
Help.....PLEASE
PS I put the FOOSE rims on, it came with America Racing Salt Flats. AT least it looks good in my driveway!!
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_4915.jpg
IMG_4917.jpg

Don't panic. It does look very nice! I bought a Mopar a few years ago where I had issues like your having. Told one thing and then found out something completely different. I messed around with intakes, heads and valves, rockers, push rods, lifters, total geometry of the rods and rockers and nothing fixed it. I spent a ton of time and money just getting to the point where the motor came out. And I stroked another.. But hold on...don't go there yet. If you do the work yourself, great but If you're not sure how to do things.... Try to find someone in your area that does know Mopar.. Have them come look and lend a hand. Check he rods length and lifters, (make sure thyre good) and geometry of them all together. Thats where I would start and go from there. I'm sure many will chime in here to to help. Good luck!

Great, thank you for your post...........I am fortunate and have found a Mopar guy by the name of Mauro Broca up here in Canada. It can leave a real bad taste to newb.
Was staring to think I should have stayed with motorcycles! $4-5k into it and haven't even enjoyed it.:wtf:

I love auto correct.. Not! The more years I have my Mopar I realize that they're a ton of constant work and you've gotta be messed in the head a little to enjoy that work and then the time on the road. As some say here, "welcome to the madness". I wouldn't trade a moment. It can be frustrating at times but stay the course, it'll be rewarding!

I love auto correct.. Not! The more years I have my Mopar I realize that they're a ton of constant work and you've gotta be messed in the head a little to enjoy that work and then the time on the road. As some say here, "welcome to the madness". I wouldn't trade a moment. It can be frustrating at times but stay the course, it'll be rewarding!
X2......I'm sure all of us have been there at one time or another. Hang in there.

Hi Thunder65

I have to agree with what many have said so far, first the machine is beautiful, and second, hang in there. When buying anything that's nearly 50 years old it's probably had many hands upon it, not all of them knowledgeable, these kind of issues go with the territory. The first thing I would do is get a bore scope in the spark plug holes on the cylinders with the bent push rods. I would suspect valve to piston contact. Not trying to scare you, but this is the most likely cause of that type of breakage. I have had improperly sized guides on a brand new heads (Indy) cause valves to stick resulting in the very same thing. You need to check compression on those cylinders. If it's currently 0 you can be sure a couple of bent valves aren't seating. It's not as bad as it sounds, if you have forged pistons, they are pretty tough and have probably survived this incident. All is not lost, a slow and steady approach will get it sorted out.

I could not agree more with what everyone has already said. I bought mine about a year and a half ago and it needed some TCL. She is pretty, but was a bit neglected. I think I finally have all the bugs out and all the small things fixed. They are a work in progress and a labor of love. Hang in there, she'll soon be purring like a lion.

Sucks but might be a good excuse for some better flowing aluminum heads! Looks sweet!

Is that originally a Sport Satellite? I only know of one car that had Salt Flats on it... That engine was good. I sold it to the one who rebuilt the car, and I had it well beyond 100mph on several occasions.

Thanks for all of the support and advice, turned out everything down to the block was scored or cracked, even both heads had huge cracks that had been welded. On the positive side I am having a new 440 Stroker built by one of the best in the business.
And yes this is the Satellite you are thinking of.

We all live and learn - you're just doing it mopar style now. Sorry you got suckered. The car is a beauty though. Hope you get the engine issues worked and and she pulls God for you.

Thanks again for the words of encouragement. True Mopar class!!
I will post pics when she gets her new heart and tranny. Oh ya I figured I might as well change it to manual while the engine is out.

The important thing is your getting it fixed and back on the road! best of luck to you great looking car!

Auto Transport Service
Back