• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP!!!

Why not just do it the right way? Do you know how much stress is transferred onto those bolts? You are going to create a bigger mess than what you already have.
So what do i do if its cross threaded?!

Did you read my post?

SLOW DOWN!!! First, remove the steering box. Now, chase the threads on EVERY hole. After that, check EVERY bolt to ensure that there is no damage, cross threading, marred threads, etc. If you have access, clean the threads with a wire wheel. Try ALL the bolts BEFORE installing the steering box. You CAN NOT install the box missing a bolt!!

If the bolts are bad, replace them. DO NOT USE SHORTER BOLTS OR MULTIPLE WASHERS!!!
If the threads in the weld on nuts are bad, either weld in new nuts or repair the threads. This can be done by "chasing" the threads if the damage is minimal. Running a tap through the threads of the right size. Or, if really damaged, drilled and heli-coiled.
http://www.helicoil.in/helicoil.htm

So I got all three bolts in!!! They went in super tight. I added about 2 and half bottles of power steering fluid. Turned wheel left and right for about 5 mins. Will let bubbles settle over night and check it tomorrow.

So I got all three bolts in!!! They went in super tight. I added about 2 and half bottles of power steering fluid. Turned wheel left and right for about 5 mins. Will let bubbles settle over night and check it tomorrow.
You said tight...did you clean them and shoot 'em with a bit of oil?

I would sat you ruined the bolts by forcing them in. The proper way is stated above. Chase them with a 1/2- 13 tap. They should screw in with your fingers. There are two different bolts used. Same thread but one style has a 3/4 -point head the others are a 1/2-12 point head, I have both styles for $15.00 for three shipped, Those three bolts in my opinion are some of the most important to make correct. No short cuts. If they turned in hard you rounded the edge on the threads. They should turn in with your fingers.

I know excactly what you did. You sprayed them up and kept going in and out until they went in . Tight but went in. If I were you I would start over and do it the correct way. Use a 1/2 -13 tap . you can turn the tap with a 3/8 open end wrench. Those bolts my friend are now junk. I have been there. When it come to steering ther is only one way. The correct way

Ask me how I know. I left the front end shop tighten my chinese eccentric bolts. Out the door it went an here is what happened to my car. Took a while but eventually one failed. It was stripped as were two others

20170520_203924.jpg DSCN2779 (2).JPG DSCN2786.JPG

Or how about this . The boy died in this car because of one shotty repair by a wanna be mechanic he took it to . The parts always seem to fail at high speeds. not at stop signs. Now look at these pictures and think about what you did after some of the good advice that was given at the beginning of your post. Why did you even ask?

Picture 011.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back