• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Helping a friend with a car "repair" on the missing ClearCoat . . . Non Mopar (sorry)

conv67bdere

Super Moderator
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:13 AM
Reaction score
So I hooked a friend of mine with a 2002 Honda Accord, that didn't need it anymore, with another friend that has a son just about to get his driver's license . . .

This is the car as it was sold/purchased . . . a week ago . . .

The top of the car has primer showing through . . .

sm_accord01.jpg

So I started with the hood . . . took it down to primer, shot the base coat, and then the clear - yes, in my backyard . . . everything looked great . . .
until I came back 10 minutes later and saw all the bugs in the paint ! ! ! ARGH . . .

sm_accord02.jpg

So on to plan B . . . set up a paint booth . . . in my carport . . . put plastic up . . .

sm_accord03.jpg

Made a run down to the local "Tear-A-Part" (usually called Pull-a-part - but my name better describes what goes on down there) . . . found a cool spoiler . . .

You can see how bad the trunk is and the top has no clear coat, that's all base coat . . .

sm_accord04.jpg

Hood repaint 2.0 . . . and spoiler repaint too . . .

sm_accord05.jpg

Back to "Tear-a-part" and I find a reap bumper cover, that was in really good shape, and when I started to remove it, it didn't even dawn on me that it was the SAME COLOR . . . and I got him a set of front headlamps, the passenger side leaked . . .

sm_accord06.jpg

Base coat shot on the top . . . and trunk . . .

sm_accord07.jpg

The finished product - when my painting was completed (including my typical couple of runs in the clear coat) . . .

sm_accord08.jpg

Titus was, of course, out inspecting my work . . . I think he agrees it's better . . .

sm_accord09.jpg

Then I get this from my friend, after he and his son buffed and waxed the old paint ( he knows NOT to touch the new stuff, but it still has a good shine on it )

What a difference . . .

sm_accord10.jpg

Can't wait till he sands, and buffs out my runs . . . LOL

Last edited:
Ive had Flys in some of the paintwork Ive done. Doing there death swim. I got a little vaccuum that sucks those little things out of the paint. There legs sometimes stay.

looks real good

i need to do my truck

whats the equipment setup you use and where do you source the paint?

watermelon

looks real good

i need to do my truck

whats the equipment setup you use and where do you source the paint?

watermelon

Got a local auto paint supply store - they did a color match and mix . . . it's really good - the kid's dad is really happy with it ! !

( even with the bugs and runs . . . LMAO )

I charge "extra" to show you how to run the clearcoat . . .

Was there signs of it being painted before or just sun baked?

That looks terrific and more practice before the Vert gets painted.

Look's like new. Like the spoiler gave it that pop it needed.

Interesting twist on the spoiler . . .

Bought it at Tear-a-part and was ready to add it to the trunk. The dad asked his son if he wanted it and responded no.

I added it anyways . . . And the kid likes it . . .

Nice job. I usually have a small set of tweezers nearby when painting. I usually need them for a bug or two.

Nice job. I usually have a small set of tweezers nearby when painting. I usually need them for a bug or two.

Wish it "was" a bug or two . . . more like a bug or 20 . . . Just my luck !

Auto Transport Service
Back