• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HEMI Crank Pulley

h9.JPG
Here is a pic of my 66 ps pulley. car doesn't have ps so no pump.

yes I have a small notch new (rebuilt) federal pump. I have the incorrect water pump and crank pulleys for the application. I am now looking for the correct dual groove alternator pulley. This HEMI stuff is all new to me.

I have the small notch rebuilt federal pump. I found all the correct parts but need more info on the dual groove alternator pulley needed for this application. Some are deep groove and regular will either one work?

That one from year one looks correct. That is the one I ordered but from another source. That alternator pulley is on my sights too.

If you have a Federal pump and bought a correct hemi Pulley for it, you have the right PS set up and the pulley only goes on one way because of collar. Yours is on correctly. What matters with this set up is the Alternator pulley which is dual groove 059. Correct hemi only WP pulley and the correct hemi only CS pulley. Neither of those pulley look correct. I have an 059 pulley I would sell, can contact me by message.

You also can get the Reprod WP/CS setup as a package. At that point things will line up.

You will have to remove the back cover of your alternator to install the new pulley with a press, but not hard to do at all. Had to do it on my car.

Picture also shows hemi CS pulley. Small dia fwd, and larger dia towards engine.
WP/ALT on Inner pulley, PS on outer.

Correct Pully.JPG

If you have a Federal pump and bought a correct hemi Pulley for it, you have the right PS set up and the pulley only goes on one way because of collar. Yours is on correctly. What matters with this set up is the Alternator pulley which is dual groove 059. Correct hemi only WP pulley and the correct hemi only CS pulley. Neither of those pulley look correct. I have an 059 pulley I would sell, can contact me by message.

You also can get the Reprod WP/CS setup as a package. At that point things will line up.

You will have to remove the back cover of your alternator to install the new pulley with a press, but not hard to do at all. Had to do it on my car.

Picture also shows hemi CS pulley. Small dia fwd, and larger dia towards engine.
WP/ALT on Inner pulley, PS on outer.

View attachment 772603
Thanks for the reassurance. I think I ordered the correct pulleys. I also ordered an original 2 groove alt pulley. Won't a pulley puller work on removing and installing the alt pulley? I see you need to put the belt on the outer alt pulley also that explains why a 2 groove. If my alt pulley does not work out I will PM you. Thanks

As DS said remove back when installing pulley front bearing may/will/pop out and mess with rear bearing. Believe front held in with spring clip.

Yes you can pull it without taking a part, but to press back in you need to support the armature shaft. Otherwise you damage rear bearing and possibly case.

Yes you can pull it without taking a part, but to press back in you need to support the armature shaft. Otherwise you damage rear bearing and possibly case.

OK, got it thanks. Got the alt pulley already now waiting for the rest.

I think it's the pump bracket, the one you have looks like one for an air car

I think it's the pump bracket, the one you have looks like one for an air car
Here is the add from where I got the pump bracket. " a new reproduction set of power steering pump brackets as pictured. For use on 1967-72 Big Block & Hemi engines. Can be used on both A/C and non-A/C applications. Includes (3) OE correct 5/16-18 place bolts to attach the bracket to the pump and the bolt to mount the assembly to the water pump housing. The washer is provided for use on water pump housing bolt in adjusting slot. Powder coated low gloss black for better appearance and longer life."

So how did this work out? Did you get it?
I got the last parts in and holding them against the harmonic damper and water pump they all line up now. I have to install everything next. I was at a cruise this past weekend and noticed on two original 1967 HEMI GTXs that they had the same crank and water pump pulleys I have but a different power steering pulley. 1967 used a different one. Also, on a 440 car 1968 or so used a federal pump and a different pulley like on the GTX's. I now have the correct set-up for a 1970 HEMI. But I bet if I could of obtained the earlier power steering pulley I could of used that set-up; but it would not be correct.

A 66-68 though some 68 may be like 69 and up, used the TRW Small PS pump. The water pump was normal Big Block, and the CS Pulley was hemi specific but different then 69 up. The alternator was single pulley. 69 went to Federal PS Pump with hemi specific pulley, Different Hemi only WP pulley and Hemi only CS pulley. Alternator to the double groove. So those 67 GTX should not have looked like your set up.

Basically in 69 they lengthened the CS pulley pushing belts away from motor. That meant the WP Pulley got shorter which also moves it further from motor. That is what drove a dual groove Alternator pulley since it had to move towards radiator too. That lined everything up with the new Federal PS pump and hemi type pulley.

I took off the pulleys last night only to find out I need a spacer now. I am 13/16 off on the crank. My damper is a thick style hemi aftermarket but it appears to have a larger indentation. I did some research and found this happened to another guy also. He needed the same 13/16" spacer. I ordered a 5/8" original mopar spacer and a 3/16" aftermarket spacer. Now I will need longer bolts. What a saga. I will take apart the alternator and press on the double alternator pulley today and install that.

Auto Transport Service
Back