• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi fuel filters?

skyman51

Local time
2:32 PM
Reaction score
My 67 Street Hemi has two plastic fuel filters. I have seen metal barrel like fuel filters advertised. Is there a particular year metal filters were used? Thanks

Use the metal regardless. Its safer.

Thanks, you are probably correct, but I have never had a problem with the plastic filters, and they are correct for my car the metal ones are not. The filters on my car are NOS not repro.

But you only have to have a problem once. Heres one for street hemis. Guy goes through the carbs. Sets the floats. But only for fuel level, not for float drop. Now a needle can stick wide open. Major flooding and possible fire. Right close to those filters. No, never has happened to me. Never owned a stock street hemi. But I have heard of it happening. And makes sense,especially someone used to holleys who rebuilds a carter. Just swap filters before going to show your car. Peace of mind is a beautiful thing. Now about that master cylinder......lol.

But you only have to have a problem once. Heres one for street hemis. Guy goes through the carbs. Sets the floats. But only for fuel level, not for float drop. Now a needle can stick wide open. Major flooding and possible fire. Right close to those filters. No, never has happened to me. Never owned a stock street hemi. But I have heard of it happening. And makes sense,especially someone used to holleys who rebuilds a carter. Just swap filters before going to show your car. Peace of mind is a beautiful thing. Now about that master cylinder......lol.

I contacted Larry Shepard, who restored and rebuilt my Hemi. He did not qualify what is correct or OEM, but said he prefers the metal filters. I will get a pair of metal filters and change the plastic ones. I never have had a problem, but I agree there always is a first time. It still does not completely eliminate the risk. There are still short rubber lines connecting each end of the filter. You need to check them often to make sure there are not cracks or leaks.

They came with Glass, Plastic or steel on 67 Hemis I can tell you that. Why risk your engine over a stupid plastic filter?

Thank you. You are the first person to actually address the filters! Was it random or something that determined which filters the Hemi got? What are the correct clamps for the rubber lines on the fuel filters?

Last edited:
Thank you. You are the first person to actually address the filters! Was it random or something that determined which filters the Hemi got? What are the correct clamps for the rubber lines on the fuel filters?

The two new metal filters are going in the drawer as spares. The plastic ones on my car now are NOS and in perfect condition. Upon further checking I have determined that the 1967 Hemi came with the plastic filters only.

Auto Transport Service
Back