• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi Gen 2 vs Gen 3

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
3:16 PM
Reaction score
For a swap and 800+ HP, I’m assuming a hellcat swap is going to be cheaper per HP and way more efficient? I love the 528 and 572 Hemis, but I just don’t know if it’s really worth the buy in vs buying a used hellcat drivetrain.

Thoughts?

I'd go gen 2.
I dont like the modern stuff.

But that said i've driven a 2017 challenger hellcat and it pulls like mad & it's a ton of fun. There is no arguing that.

I’m way biased towards the Gen2 stuff as you can see but Gen3 is way more bang for the buck. The used Hellcat stuff is everywhere and they make crazy power with just a few bolt ons.

650E22C6-F177-443B-B7ED-54EA1731B3A2.jpeg

Any reason besides nostalgia and character?

Mainly 3 reasons

- I prefer naturally aspirated engines, not a big fan of super and turbochargers
- I do not want to deal with computers/electronics
- I prefer an oldschool engine in an old car

But as i said my driving expirience with the new hellcat challenger was great.
So if you like superchargers, fuel injection and computers/electronics i think you cant really go wrong.

So if you like superchargers i think you cant really go wrong.

Just remember forced induction means

- More complexity
- One more thing that can fail
- Usually it wears the engine out faster
- Turbolag if you go turbo

The Gen 3 install/electronics etc can cost some hefty $ converting over.... and who in the f*ck wants to deal with/ fix the Gen 3 Cam problems when they occur ?

I own an S/C SRT, love it ! BUT I would never put a new engine in an old car it defeats the purpose. Old cars are simple creatures like most of us guys! I also would never want worry about the fact you may have deal with emissions tests by using a modern driveline. I’m not saying a new hemi isn’t great I really like them but simplicity always wins, and the fact you have an elephant is way cool. IMO

Both are cool in their own way.. I will eventually do a GenIII Hemi, they are widely available, much lighter and can make great power. A friend did a 394 cube one with a single turbo, carbureted, cast iron manifolds and all, no intercooler, on cheap $2 a gallon E85. It made 1,500 HP and he drove it a lot.

Gen II for me only. Even though I own a couple Gen III Hemi's also. The new Hellcats and Demons are awesome but I stick with old school.

rsz_20160414_201144.jpg IMG9505711.jpg

You can't beat the curb appeal of a Gen II Hemi. That said, I went with the Gen III for a few reasons. I wanted some decent fuel mileage along with the driveability provided by the newer FI engines. It cost a quite a bit more up front and provided plenty of grief during the install but the results were well worth it for me. My 6.1 powered 4000 lb Charger will knock down a high 12 second quarter with the A/C on and street tires. It delivers 22 mpg at 70 mph and 1700 rpm. Everyone has their likes, dislikes, opinions and beliefs. I'm no different and I could care less what the purists have to say. I say, "your car, build it your own way"
As for the Gen III cam issue, I think the problem lies in people letting them idle too long. Police vehicles come to mind as being prone to cam failures. Probably idling behind a billboard in January for 2 hours waiting for a speeder to come along. I know of a couple of Hemi Rams with over 200K miles pulling campers and trailers with no cam issues. Neither one gets idled much. Nor do the two Gen III's that I own. My opinion of course.

There were studies done on the Gen III cams and it was determined to be caused by the incorrect oil spec.
The nostalgia with the Gen II in the old cars is a very good reason to use them, especially if you want an ACTUAL hemi.

The cam issues I would say is a oil quality issue and not changing it and being 5-20, the ram owners manual says 5-30 for heavy duty use..I’ve personally changed many many cams and lifters, send the heads out have them checked over, resurface exhaust manifolds and removed the broken studs and , fresh oil pump , new timing set with tensioners, clean the short block well, replace pan gasket and reassemble .. all turned out well.. engine hours are avail on the evic on trucks and usually the failures I seen were around 65-8000 engine run hours , that’s idle and drive times. These were fleet trucks with hardly any oil changes and the cheapest oil filter enterprise could buy.. many oil changes were 12 miles with a excessive amount of hours on them. I’ve done many of them , if you look for used hemi pull the cam sensor(8mm bolt head) check the magnet.. no metal no problem..

I'm thinking of putting a Gen III in my 69 Roadrunner and was wondering what installation problems I might run into. I'm planning on using a TCI A 904 transmission behind it and depending on finances, maybe a GearVendors OD. I'm mainly worried about getting the motor in the engine bay with the blower on a Hellcat motor. I have a QA-1 tubular K-member that I'm using if that helps. Though I'd sort of like to get that 446 I built in it just to see how she runs for shits and giggles. Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated. Vic

I dont drive my car for fuel mileage.
So thats moot point....imo.

I have serious doubts i would get the same feedback / comments if it was a Gen3

20211001_175501.jpg

I think if you are strictly thinking cost and performance (and maybe engine weight) the gen III wins. For me, I would never swap an ugly gen III into a B or E body. I have thought about building an A-body with one though to bracket race and auto cross.

You are right in that the hellcat swap will make the same power for less money and better mileage.

I gave it some thought but they seem to be getting rather common and I think the Gen 2 just looks at home in an old car. (that, and I prefer the sound/characteristics of a naturally aspirated engine)

So, I stayed with Gen2 and converted it to efi.

Gen II will always have the look and reverence. But to say a hellcat swap is more complicated than keeping an 800hp gen II happy in daily driving is not a fair statement

Gen II will always have the look and reverence. But to say a hellcat swap is more complicated than keeping an 800hp gen II happy in daily driving is not a fair statement
HP to HP that hellcat will be much more street friendly compared to a gen2.

Auto Transport Service
Back