• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi Gen 2 vs Gen 3

I am building my 446 for my project 69 Roadrunner with Fast EFI and Distributor and MSD - 6al Digital spark control, w/ MSD Blaster SS coil to help it be a little more street friendly and better on fuel, plus if I add the GearVendor's OD, I really shouldn't have to worry about mileage. Plus a Comp Hyd. roller cam & lifters, ported aluminum heads, Melling factory blueprinted oil pump, block girdle, TRW pistons, Be-Cool aluminum radiator & water pump, to name a few. I have a set of 1 7/8" custom headers that were ceramic coated inside and out and Magnaflo 2 1/2" SS exhaust pipes with cutouts. I wouid give my left nut to have my old 383 back that was in my 68 Roadrunner. That thing was good for nearly 8,000 RPM once this retired Chrysler engineer got through putting a bunch of trick parts he had laying around his shop together and we built a real wild sleeper. I'd eat damn near anything on the street except a few built Hemis' and SS-454s' and I'd get them in the 1/8th but we were racing 1/4s' back then in So. Calif. That car and my 64 Belevedere A-990 426 Wedge 4-speed car, another one I'd love to have now. That one was sold by my ex while I was working out of town, another reason she's an ex. My Roadrunner, she got me to trade because she HAD to have a van to go with our ski boat. I'd have been better off trading her in.

I have been going back and forth on this one for the last 6 months, and still haven't made a decision. I see the pros and cons of both, for my 68 Roadrunner. To keep it bare bones basic on the Gen 3, you can buy a complete drop out, and get literally every piece you need (don't know if I can mention the shop name here) but you can definitely get the complete hellcats for a decent price.

I love the power, performance (and ability to add plenty more hp) and reliability of the Gen 3s, but also love the look of the big black valve covers on a stroked Gen 2.

However fast I think Gen 3 strips too much character from the car. Just my opinion of course. I had a 2017 Challenger 6 speed kind of a boring car at the end of the day.

They also sound totally different , when you hear a 426 start with the stock starter the note is unique, then wind it up while banging the gears and listen to it sing. Something about high compression, long duration, solid lifters and big power . I have a blown 6.1 it sounds good but not the same.. The new ones make awesome power. I would like to have an elephant especially when it’s the only one in the room.. Got to love a 426! Granted you won’t go wrong with the newer stuff but that shock and awe every time you open the lid to me isn’t there otherwise. This is my opinion and your car, best of luck and go with your gut and don’t look back. I like the cars the way they were simple critters, rough around the edges and YOU have to make it work,not push the button and go.. The other bonus you would never have to meet the new car emissions when it finally happens— that would suck to emissions test a 68 road runner.

Auto Transport Service
Back