• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi in the junkyard!!!

Dutchrebuild

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:19 PM
Reaction score
.....but in a DeSoto!!! Amazing this stuff is still out there

IMG_20230329_105656172.jpg

Wow that’s cool, how bad is the car ? I have a friend with a old desoto and a hemi.. Very neat hate to see them get crushed... most folks never heard of them now a days

Its a 4- door and completely rotted to junk

Guessing not cheap enough for yard art!

You should ask anyway - even if someone here wants to go get it. It's all sealed up, covers, airbox, everything is there! It isn't open, rusty valves and leaf-filled carburetor...

It's a 57 DeSoto
Been sitting 50yrs
Old man is asking $1,000 complete engine/trans...what ever is there
Always been under cover at least

What's the Kool-Aid Guy say???? OH YAAAA.....

If it’s got any good trim it’s a score! Engine is the bonus! Forward look cars are neat but OMG expensive!

$1k is why its still sitting there. Most certainly locked up if sitting outside 50 years.

I remember a guy running a mid-50's Hemi Desoto in a derby I ran once. It made me a little sad, but it didnt stop me from pounding him so hard it broke the CV in my 73 Olds Tornado 455.

Is it sitting in an actual junk yard or is it deep in the back woods of some old mans property?
I might be interested...

A grand might be a bit steep. But, this would qualify as actually rare anymore and if it is actually complete it would make someone a nice parts car for trim or otherwise.
These cars and the Studebakers and such from that era are rapidly dissapearing from car shows and that. I think that era of "old car guys" is getting smaller and smaller, and there is barely any aftermarket support. The nameplates are gone long enough now the younger crowd has never heard of them. I hope someone can make use of this stuff to keep one alive.

A grand is a little steep but fair as long as its not locked up from sitting.
It's not like they made millions of them and they aren't making any more.

Most likely a 341 cu. in. engine.

276 !!!

The problem with these Desotos is they were smaller motors - and cost the same to build as a Chrysler 354 or 392 - which have many more options for builds and aftermarket parts. Nothing interchanges between the Desotos, Dodges and Chryslers and to build a decent old hemi these days you're looking somewhere close to 10k. May as well hold out for a big cube Chrysler - which there a many of still kicking around. The only thing of value on this Desoto ... the valve covers for garage art !

Auto Transport Service
Back