• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi Main Bearing Cap Puller Info Needed

70rcode

Local time
5:40 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,...Need help & suggestion technique for pulling Main Bearing Caps off.... These are really wedged in Tight & I don't want to crack anything..Help !!

I just use some round rods that fit tight in the holes. Sometimes another set of hands and a plastic mallet will loosen them up. They just need a little wiggle to start them moving.

Hey Pnora,... That's a good plan.... Just my 2 hands here.....2 just barely fitting Rods to fit down the bolt holes & I'm good for the plastic mallet & wiggle away at it......I guess my plan to Wedge under the Cap wings & prying against the block is Not so good ??

By myself I would grab the two rods with one hand and squeeze the rods together. Then as I worked the caps left to right I would alternately rap each rod as I was working left to right and lightly lifting the caps. Once they start they will ease as you work them. I am pretty sure the rods were smooth 1/2. Threaded could work but you might have to dress some light nicks in the cap holes.

Thx man,.... that's some Real Good technique info there !! Funny how there's Nothing in the Service Manual about it ?? The Manual does have every other useful wacky Chrysler service tool for Every job imaginable !! I wonder what the engine assembly line used ? Between the rough & finish Line Bore & fitting bearings jobs, I'm sure they had the caps tightly fitted a few times !!

Of course Really Cool Chevy LS motor cap pullers are avail Everywhere !!

I use 2 snug fitting rods. Wiggle forward and backward while pulliing outward on the rods#3 is the roughest due to the trust beating. Do it last.
Doug

Thx man,.... that's some Real Good technique info there !! Funny how there's Nothing in the Service Manual about it ?? The Manual does have every other useful wacky Chrysler service tool for Every job imaginable !! I wonder what the engine assembly line used ? Between the rough & finish Line Bore & fitting bearings jobs, I'm sure they had the caps tightly fitted a few times !!
With the crank out is would be easy to pull them. No doubt the workers on the line had some off the wall shop built tools. If the caps were drilled in the center a sumple puller could be made to pull off special studs in the blocks cap threaded holes.

My Machinist tapped the holes so I can use a slide hammer. Doesn't help you now, but if you're going to the machine shop you may mention it to him.

Thx guys for great suggestions & yep, that # 3 Center Thrust Is the Tight bad boy !! I was watching Mopar S/S & AFX Cars dominate the 1/4 in '64, so I Now need all the "Smart" mechanical advantage assist methods & tools to save wear & tear on me !! I've got a good, simple, Easy to fab up Non-Hammer & Easy on the block & caps Puller idea in mind..... I'll let you all know how it works out....Thx again,....tom

Was going to comment "How many times are you going to put the engine apart?". Then looked at your age and changed my mind.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I've had some wedge engines that had main caps that were pretty tight. Same technique.....wiggle them out but never worked on a Hemi so don't know how tight those are.

A tight fit main cap is a good thing. If you can get the rods down in the cap and squeeze them together with a ratchet strap then zip tie the tension, use the rubber mallet back & forth?

A tight fit main cap is a good thing. If you can get the rods down in the cap and squeeze them together with a ratchet strap then zip tie the tension, use the rubber mallet back & forth?
Ratchet strap? What am I missing here?

Well,....Thx for giving me a pass on that, Fran.....I didn't know It showed that much !! I'll be fiddling on it later & see how to finesse the tools.....I would think if the 2 Cap hole ID's we're Internally threaded,. It would be a cinch to fasten a Slide Hammer attachment or Puller directly to.....I don't think that would seriously weaken or compromise the Forged cap reliability ...

I've had some wedge engines that had main caps that were pretty tight. Same technique.....wiggle them out but never worked on a Hemi so don't know how tight those are.
They can a pain in the azz on a Hemi because of the cross bolts which create more surface contact you're fighting. 1 & 5 aren't bad because they're not cross bolted but 2-4 are stupid tight, which makes the trust cap a special pain in the azz.
Like I said, my machinist drilled a shallow hole in all the caps then taped it so we can use a slide hammer. Works beautiful.

In the OP's case, he'll have to use a rubber mallet and hit the caps back and forth to loosen them, then he'll be able to pull them out.. Again, the trust cap will still be a pain because of the lack of room to move the cap.

Thx guys for great suggestions & yep, that # 3 Center Thrust Is the Tight bad boy !! I was watching Mopar S/S & AFX Cars dominate the 1/4 in '64, so I Now need all the "Smart" mechanical advantage assist methods & tools to save wear & tear on me !! I've got a good, simple, Easy to fab up Non-Hammer & Easy on the block & caps Puller idea in mind..... I'll let you all know how it works out....Thx again,....tom

Was going to comment "How many times are you going to put the engine apart?". Then looked at your age and changed my mine.:thumbsup:
Well, he says he was watching the Mopar S/S and AFX cars dominate the 1/4 in 64......but his profile says he was born in 98. That just doesn't 'quite' add up lol

Well, he says he was watching the Mopar S/S and AFX cars dominate the 1/4 in 64......but his profile says he was born in 98. That just doesn't 'quite' add up lol
Hey watch it... I just turned 30 :rolleyes::lol:

Ya know,. .... You're 'bout as old as yo attitude, interests & activities.....Don't even remember my profile entries or where to even find it, but BD = '49,....so that mystery solved....So far, #3 cap Is a real Pia & No joy on getting that thrust cap moved & sure Don't want to hurt anything....Commensing Plan B. & fabbing up a simple smooth & safe Extractor of sorts..... Have good expectations & we'll see how it works out .. .

Auto Transport Service
Back