• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi Superbird Controversy

I always love these discussions. There are multiple valid points of course. I think of a couple things:
-If it was 1969 and you rolled your GTX over (and lived) with enough money the body shop would have bought a body-in-white and done the swap, no question. Is that car still a GTX?
-If a re-body was done well enough so that neither you nor Galen nor the Pope could tell the difference, does it matter?

I like the comment above that there are survivors and restored cars and that they are not the same thing.
Yes...this conversation will go on forever. Like i said before, I see both sides of it.

So, once upon a time this was my car. RM23V0A173747 as I recall. I bought it out of Chant's wrecking yard in 1979. Car had been wrecked in the early '70s. I paid $75 for it.

Promptly broke the rear window (I was 19). I gave the car away around 1980 or 1981 to a friend who was restoring a Superbird. Once upon I time I had the fender tag. A million years ago I ran into a guy at a car show who pried the VIN tag off the dash while it was still at Chants.

No idea when this photo was taken, but long after I gave it away.

Worth restoring? (my opinion is absolutely not). Though for all I know somebody may have bought it and restored it.

70superbird17.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back