• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi vs 440 6-pack on the dyno (motortrendondemand)

"This video is only available for subscribers.
Access all episodes, ad free, with a 7 Day Free Trial."

Oh well.

I took the free trial, being a BIG fan of the 440 6bbl!
My takeaway?
I had a stock 71 HP440 4bbl in a 71 Charger R/T, auto, AC, 3.23 open diff car...several hundred pounds heavier than my 70 Roadrunner.
My 71 440 w/six pack rods and crank, eyebrow valve relief flat top pistons and 452 heads, and 292°/.509 Purple Stripe cam, with CompCams hydraulic flat tappet lifters, springs, locks and retainers and 1⅞"TTi headers is WAY, WAY faster than that Charger was, even when I had the 3.54 gears in it. With the Passon 5 speed and 4.10 gears, Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials...
I'd need surgery to remove my smile!
Now I'd love to just add TF240s, and see how much better that combo performs, but my decision to go with the Bill Mitchell Products aluminum RB block at 541 cu in means TF270s, and understanding that there may be Hemis and "other brand" engines that may spank me, I'm going to roll without fear, because if they beat me, I'm still going to have a LOT of fun trying with the 541, when that day comes.
I still point to the 426 Hemi as the pinnacle of Chrysler engineering superiority over the "other brands", so my love of the RB Wedge has no lack of ultimate respect and admiration for the LEGENDARY 426 Hemi!

Anybody just want to tell us what the result of their (as in Engine Masters) "testing" was?

Anybody just want to tell us what the result of their (as in Engine Masters) "testing" was?
Both engines had identical spec Comp hydraulic roller cams, the rest of their parts were very close factory spec or stock, and both had around 9.5:1 CR, which is less than factory spec. The 906 heads on the 440 6bbl may have had a bit of hand porting in the bowls. I believe the valve springs on the 440 could have been a bit stronger, as there was a bit of float or instability in the 5,500 RPM range.
The 440 6bbl had much higher, wider torque than the Hemi, the Hemi had 600 RPMs higher range (6,500) and peak higher horsepower, although both significantly exceeded factory rated power. Lift on the cams was about .565" on a 108° lobe separation.
If I had a B-Body, I'd prefer the wider, higher torque of the 440. (and put a pair of TF240s with better springs on asap)
If you want to know more, look for someone to post or take the free trial or a subscription :poke:

2D052740-080A-443A-9503-D0E93090FA57.png
26DAE579-F32A-4AFB-AB43-F6321AEB4DDC.png

The 1971 440/6 was out of a 1971 Charger R/T

It’s going back in the car after a billion years - Steve Dulcich first car he said

The 426 Hemi is a Mopar Performance circa 1994/1995

Had a Stage 5 intake with dual Holleys

It’s going in a AMC Gremlin on Future Roadkill

So, plus 30HP on the Hemi and plus 100HP for the 440 from stock.

The bigger picture on that 440 - 6 was also headers

I don’t know if that was mentioned or not

Well both motors ran headers on the dyno

And of course that Camshaft

The bigger picture on that 440 - 6 was also headers
both motors ran headers on the dyno
As "good" as HP 440 exh manifolds may be, or what appear to be even better factory exh manifolds on the 426 Hemi, or a couple of my favorites, the Max Wedge exhaust upswept GIANT manifolds, or the Ram Air II exhaust manifolds that we have on the 421 Tripower (that have divided runners where they are siamesed together) long tube headers are one of the best first bolt ons for almost any engine!

As "good" as HP 440 exh manifolds may be, or what appear to be even better factory exh manifolds on the 426 Hemi, or a couple of my favorites, the Max Wedge exhaust upswept GIANT manifolds, or the Ram Air II exhaust manifolds that we have on the 421 Tripower (that have divided runners where they are siamesed together) long tube headers are one of the best first bolt ons for almost any engine!
Unequivocally correct !

I think too many of the "6bbl deprived" may underestimate the design and performance of the intake and carbs. @IQ52 has had some amazing success using that combo, in some cases with a little custom massaging, to make BIG HP and Torque on standard crank and stroker RB engines.
I suggest anyone who wants to witness the true design genius of the 6bbl setup look up the comparison on Hughes website, and see that torque is equal to or superior to a modern high performance 4bbl intake and carb, and HP is very close.
It's almost impossible to describe the feeling that rolling into a 6bbl tuned 440 brings.
I know from personal experience that a 6bbl will draw a crowd at a show when the hood comes up.

"I know from personal experience that a 6bbl will draw a crowd at a show when the hood comes up."

I know from personal experience that a SixPack will draw a crowd at a show when the cooler comes out also.

Auto Transport Service
Back