• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here's Something You Don't See Every Day

Don67Satellite

Local time
7:44 AM
Reaction score
Was peeking at an online ad for a 1966 Plymouth "Fury 3 Sport" it said. A 318 car in complete, running, but needing some TLC shape.

Haven't seen a column shifter automatic with buckets & console before. Interesting to me, maybe more common to others.

s-l1600-3.jpg

I read somewhere there was a special block off plate for the console, for column shift cars but never saw one before

I've not seen any in person. I did know that there were shift delete plates for consoles. Very rare IMO.

And here I thought it was odd that my 500 didn't have a console. It just looks weird to me without it. Lol

I saw one of the console block off plates in car in a junkyard many years ago. (Early 1980s) It had the chrome ribs to match the console top. It was in a 66 or 67 Satellite with a 3 speed on the column. I wish now that I had purchased it. It's the only one I have ever seen.

You can see the plate in the pic.

1966 318 3 on the tree Chargers got that plate because the console was standard, and couldn't be optioned away.

I saw one at a car show and thought the owner was bullshitting me. Since then, I have seen others. Strange things...

By the looks of the spot light possibly an old cop car. Cop cars had weird options.

Spotlights were common and popular back in those days. I have had a couple of old Mopar muscle cars with Unity spotlights on them, as well as a Ford truck.

...and cop cars tended to not have consoles due to the number of things carried on the officer's belt.

Even today, Chargers are built for law enforcement specifically without consoles.

I saw this years ago, and I put it in my Mopar files for reference.
According to the 68 service manual, it was available to have a console and a column shift.
It's hard to read, but below the circled picture it says "with column shift" It appears to be a 4 speed top plate, with a block off plate instead of a boot.

shifter_plate_002_circ.JPG

Cool Fury III
always liked the stacked headlights
& sharp body lines 'details' of those years

never seen the block off/blanked out plate, in a console in person
I have heard about it before

good to actually see one 'sort of'

:thankyou:

A couple more pics from the ad that kinda show the console & a pic of the car itself. Ad states car belonged to the sellers father, says it runs but has not been driven in years.

View attachment 1277630 View attachment 1277631 View attachment 1277632
Hey Guys I bought it and Yes it is part of Car Has original brackets for it. Just brought it back from mechanics as developed a coolant leak water pump gave up. All good now. Was restored back in 2006 but last 2 owner let sit outside and has started to fade in Areas. But is cool to Drive. I Paid $4500 for it driver rear quarter had 3-6 inches of bonds I just removed it. Let the restoration Start

Hey Guys I bought it and Yes it is part of Car Has original brackets for it. Just brought it back from mechanics as developed a coolant leak water pump gave up. All good now. Was restored back in 2006 but last 2 owner let sit outside and has started to fade in Areas. But is cool to Drive. I Paid $4500 for it driver rear quarter had 3-6 inches of bonds I just removed it. Let the restoration Start
Welcome! We have a 'welcome' forum you ought to visit. :) Congrats on getting the car, looking forward to your restoration work.

Auto Transport Service
Back