• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi! New guy from Alabama, Restoring my dad's 68 Roadrunner 383

opie1600

Local time
4:04 PM
Reaction score
Hello all, names Eric, glad to see a forum out there for these cool cars. I have a 383 4 speed 68 road runner that I am slowly making better. Current state is 20 year old restoration that had some issues but mostly pretty sound. Car is complete and is a runner/driver. First owner was my dad, special ordered in 68 with gold metallic paint and black patch hood. He sold it in 1976 (when I was born) and bought it back in the late 1980's. My mom and I confirmed VIN from tag receipts from 1968 after the re-purchase. After buying it the second time he refreshed it up to current state.

I purchased it from him a couple of years back when he was looking to downsize and it has mainly sat around gathering dust. It has been slightly modified (edlebrock carb/intake, electric fuel pump, bored over, bigger cam) but is mainly stock. I am looking to get the list of things that don't work on it currently to work (gauges, parking brake, redoing suspension bushings/shocks, etc) and to improve on it. Ultimately I am going to get it stripped down and repainted again but am saving up for that expense currently while I work the other bugs out. Objective is to have a good driver that I can tool around in and not get stranded (it has done this twice). Not looking for a track demon or money maker.

I am a car guy and have had everything from modded Subaru WRX's to no heat/no radio farm trucks (1959 Chevy Apache I still miss you!) Have to admit I don't know a lot about this platform so I will be asking some silly questions. I promise to to attempt to search previous to asking and to contribute when I can. Cheers!

Eric

Hi Eric!
Welcome aboard!
Thanks for joining the forum!
Neat story!
I'm glad that Roadrunner is "back in the family"!

Again, welcome and thank you for joining!

Hello Eric. My first mopar was a 68 RR 383 4sp. good luck and it is a very special project. there is a lot of help on fbbo.

Welcome!

Hi Eric, welcome:wav:

Great story about the car your dad got new, I hope you enjoy the challenges and fun of putting it all back to new.

Oh, and your comment "Not looking for a track demon or money maker." means you have the right hobby. :)

Welcome aboard Eric, I have only been aboard myself for about six months, but it is an awesome site with great archives. I graduated from Jemison high school many moons ago, but finally landed a much desired '68 GTX last September and have relied on this site to help get it ready for prime time. Mopars and Bear Bryant were royalty in the state back in my day! If you have not been to the Wellborn Museum in Alex City yet, it is well worth the visit! Good luck with the RR and have fun!

Welcome to the site! Post up some pictures of your Bird, we'd love to see it. :headbang:

welcome to FBBO now lets see that road runner

hi and welcome to the site ,great story :headbang:

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Really bad pics but will have to do for now. Grill and headlight bezels are out being repainted, tires are red-walls with the OEM style 14" 5 star chromes. Disc conversion up front. Currently working on passenger side suspension and having to read ALOT on what exactly I am looking at, first dance with torsion bars.

welcome to FBBO Opie
nice 68 RR, I'm kind of partial to them too

Auto Transport Service
Back