• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holley Mid-Mount Complete Accessory Drive System worth it??

svl612

Local time
10:16 AM
Reaction score
Hello Gents,

Was wondering if any of you have thoughts about purchasing the complete Holley mid-mount accessory drive system for my Gen3 6.4 build . I have found them slightly (and I mean slightly) discounted online. My question is weather it's worth the price or just piece the things I really need, like the a/c comp, p/s pump and alternator (one wire set up). I currently have the Holley Terminator X Max system.

Would just like to save some dough where I can here.

Thanks in advance,
Thomas

I think a guy on moparts bought it and loved it. What accessories are you running - alt ac and ps?

Well I purchased the 6.4 crate engine, so I will need all the accessories.

Oh ok- it's originally an a/c car with manual p/s . Will eventually purchase the vintage air set-up. At the moment I have none of that stuff I need yet.

Funny this should come up right now as I am assembling my mid mount system on my 5.7 as we speak. As to the question, I would say that if you are using a crate engine it is absolutely worth it, if you are using a complete donor engine it might be depending on what you want/need.

I like it because it moves the AC compressor up to the passenger side, also since I am using a crate engine I needed the alternator, PS pump and AC compressor anyway. Additionally the PS pump is a type II which will work well with my hydroboost and Borgeson box.

Really the nicest thing about it is that it comes with everything you need, bolts, tensioner, belt, etc. Also it gives you a lot of options such as where you want the heater lines (you have several options), it provides temp sensor options as well and it uses a stock front cover gasket, oh and the water inlet/outlets swivel which allow for a number of radiator options.

Yes it is expensive but I think that if you were to price it all out and given the options it provides it is well worth it.

It isn’t cheap but nothing in this hobby is. I used it because I was adding AC. It also keeps you from having to notch the frame rail for the alternator. I like how it condenses everything and fits everything tighter to the engine. I’d buy another one if I do another gen 3 swap.

CEAC6D8E-EF33-4118-A71B-465DF68F7116.jpeg

I appreciate the feedback so far. Sounds like it's worth pulling the trigger for. Just wanted to make sure it was worth the hype. Thanks again guys

A couple of things to know,

You will need a few specialty tools such as a puller and an installer for the front dampener as well as one for the PS pump pulley (you can get them off Amazon). The dampener puller can be confusing because there are different dampeners over the years, I bought one which didn't work and ended up making one.

You have to decide how you want your heater lines to run early on (under the intake or traditionally) because one of the fittings is a 90 deg elbow and cannot be installed once the front cover is on.

A couple of things to know,

You will need a few specialty tools such as a puller and an installer for the front dampener as well as one for the PS pump pulley (you can get them off Amazon). The dampener puller can be confusing because there are different dampeners over the years, I bought one which didn't work and ended up making one.

You have to decide how you want your heater lines to run early on (under the intake or traditionally) because one of the fittings is a 90 deg elbow and cannot be installed once the front cover is on.
Usually these types of tools you can rent for free at the auto parts store. Is that not the case with these?

Regarding the heater lines, if you go under the intake, how hard it is to route back along the firewall? Under the intake would be a cleaner look, but I am unclear how much room there is to work with. Also, the AC lines are going to be running up and to the left anyway, so not sure it makes that big of a difference cleaning up the engine bay.

Usually these types of tools you can rent for free at the auto parts store. Is that not the case with these?

Regarding the heater lines, if you go under the intake, how hard it is to route back along the firewall? Under the intake would be a cleaner look, but I am unclear how much room there is to work with. Also, the AC lines are going to be running up and to the left anyway, so not sure it makes that big of a difference cleaning up the engine bay.
Yes you can probably rent the tools, I am not sure because I don't rent tools (given the prices on Amazon I'd rather own them).

As to the heater lines, it might be a bit tight trying to tie into the hard lines that run under the intake and route them to a stock heater core. I am going to be running my heater lines on the outside like stock.

One thing on the a/c moving it does fix the denting the front header tube for the low mount compressor to clear with tti headers. Not sure if hooker headers clear the low mount compressor.

You might sweat some copper 90* elbows on the ends to point over to the heater core

You might sweat some copper 90* elbows on the ends to point over to the heater core
You could do that but you probably also need to do 90s on the header core ends or the lines would have to make a large sweeping turn to connect.

I am sure they would work at least for awhile. The problem there is that the heater lines see a lot of heat cycles and over time plastic doesnt much like it especially with any vibration, however I am sure they would/could work. Personally I just don't think there is enough room at the back of the engine to bring those heater hoses out and back around to the firewall.

I am sure they would work at least for awhile. The problem there is that the heater lines see a lot of heat cycles and over time plastic doesnt much like it especially with any vibration, however I am sure they would/could work. Personally I just don't think there is enough room at the back of the engine to bring those heater hoses out and back around to the firewall.
I ripped the lines off my test engine before I put in my Coronet so I can't say either. Race car doesn't need heat

Well I purchased the 6.4 crate engine, so I will need all the accessories.

Have you started a thread on your 6.4 swap? I'd like to see how you're coming along as I'm doing the same.

Auto Transport Service
Back