• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holley Sniper II starting

Wyatt

Local time
12:13 PM
Reaction score
So, a couple of pics of the new motor. I've gone to the Holly Sniper II. My first experience with bolt-on EFI.

My question(s): Shouldn't it start the same (like an OEM EFI) every time? Should there ever be a difference in starting it from a warm motor vs. a cold one?

I'm not the mechanic on this. I had it done 'professionally.' When running, I love it. The smooth pull, etc..

Yes, if necessary, I'll call the Holley tech line. There's a couple hours gone poof. Oh, well. But if anyone knows these answers it will be greatly appreciated.

Thx!

20240227_104003.jpg

20240227_104055.jpg

I just installed but have not finished a Sniper 2 on my friends GTX he had the original sniper which had a few issues.. But the new Holley Sniper fired right up and sorted itself out pretty quickly. I still have to clean up his mess of wiring from the Vintage Air, Vacuum pump and electric powered air grabber motor. I have a picture on my phone at the wiring nightmare. Hopefully this weekend I will get it sorted out and looking decent under the hood. But so far yes impressed with the Sniper 2.

To ask you a question about your starting. Do you have a return line? The Sniper 2 I installed is dead headed with the Holley in tank pump and it fires right up. Wonder if you are getting drain back from the fuel return.

I prefer to treat my Holley Sniper like a diesel engine (old school) - give it a chance to get fuel pressure up and then turn the key.

I believe if you turn the key to start immediately like a modern car, the fuel pressure will be a bit off, and you end up with hard-starting issues, that leads to over-fuelling and that leads to flooding.

That's my take. I just started mine engine after a fuel tank upgrade - changed from an inline pump to an in-tank pump.....primed the pump off the iginition....took about 5 seconds for the pressure to build up from dry lines, then I turned the key and it started after about 4 seconds. Fast idled for about 20 more seconds, then slowly made the way down to preset idle value. :thumbsup:

:xscuseless:

It's running fast in the video to warm the engine up. :poke:

The sniper directions refer to turning the key on and waiting for a few seconds while the pump primes and then the injectors wet the intake. The sniper 2 is an improvement and mine starts right up even after sitting for two months.

It may just need to be run some more to self tune. I do agree with turning the key to run and waiting for the pump pressure to rise until it stops the pump.

It may just need to be run some more to self tune. I do agree with turning the key to run and waiting for the pump pressure to rise until it stops the pump.
I had an issue with my Sniper for quite some time - always running rich and spluttering etc....fouling plugs like a two-dollar hooker running on two-stroke .... I digress.

Turns out I had the 'common problem' of the injector power plug falling off inside the side covers. It took a while to find a few videos that showed the problem and convince me that was my issue. Sure enough I looked down the throats and one was bone dry and not shooting gas. I dismantled the side covers and made a 5-cent fix on all four injectors - a zip tie. After all I am a Certified Zip Tie Technician. :lol: It says so on my work van.

Here's my video....and pics

*****WARNING - this video contains content that may offend @Kern Dog (filmed in portrait) .... shows the 'dead' injector - and also shows it's mate on the same spindle shooting extra fuel to try and compensate for the lack of fuel in the dead one. That was giving me the rough running and idle plus poor fuel economy and fouling the plugs....nasty really.

20230806_145115.jpg20230806_145121.jpg20230806_145321.jpg20230806_145333.jpg20230806_150120.jpg20230806_150303_001.jpg20230806_150315.jpg20230806_150320.jpg

This video shows all four injectors shooting fuel ....

The loose or broken connection is a common problem for the sniper 1. My mileage had dropped to around 9 and the engine was acting like it had a miss under acceleration. My wife spotted the dark area on the throttle body as soon as I took the air cleaner off. I decided to try the sniper 2 instead of going in a potential rabbit hole with the other one.

So far it’s been pretty good. Plus my wife encourages me to spend money on our cars, so that settled it.

IMG_1453.jpeg

IMG_1455.jpeg

IMG_1456.jpeg

IMG_1622.jpeg

IMG_1606.jpeg

IMG_1619.jpeg

IMG_1610.jpeg

Plus my wife encourages me to spend money on our cars, so that settled it.
Has she got a sister? Asking for a friend..... :lol:

So has Sniper 2 upgraded the plug ends? I ended up following some advice and bought a new set of plug ends from Amazon.

Have yet to fit them as I wasn't going to wait forever to get the engine running again.
Next time I do a tear down I will swap out the cables. It looks like it will be easier on the bench instead of crawling all over the engine.

Sniper needs to be tuned manually below 160*. All the pump shot, start up enrichment, etc is all in the tables. No self learning there. The base setup will start the engine very well for the most part but if you want it to be dead on you need to tune it.

Has she got a sister? Asking for a friend..... :lol:

So has Sniper 2 upgraded the plug ends? I ended up following some advice and bought a new set of plug ends from Amazon.

Have yet to fit them as I wasn't going to wait forever to get the engine running again.
Next time I do a tear down I will swap out the cables. It looks like it will be easier on the bench instead of crawling all over the engine.

I am assuming you are referring to the injector connector and I didn’t open up this one to see. The whole throttle body has been changed and it’s better in my opinion than the first model.

The injectors are now front and rear instead of side to side and the fuel transfer tube is cast into the body which got rid of that crossover hose across the back. All the wiring exits the rear and no cables are pinched into the side, so that looks cleaner.

Throttle movement and the wrapped springs are softer and pedal response is noticeably better. That’s another plus in my opinion. Removing the cheap internal pressure regulator was a plus as well as putting both inlets on the side where they should be.

Auto Transport Service
Back