• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holy cow! It's finally back home!

Xp29h

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:11 PM
Reaction score
The long journey of the charger and it's pathetic 383 hp motor is over! It just got home tonight under the cover of darkness. 50 plus degrees and all kinds of rain to wash and clean the roads, it was driven home.

After a couple years trying to figure out why the 383 wouldn't get out of its own way, I found a 400 block and a 512 stroker kit from 440Source, the build is complete.

Parts:
- 512 stroker kit with dish Pistons .000" below deck and shooting for 9.5:1 compression (came in at 9.7:1)
-Comp cams from 440source 571 lift hydraulic roller
Lifters to match and all new locks, retainers, etc.
- Stealth CNC aluminum heads
- Torker single plane intake
- Holley 850 dp
- New everything on and around motor. Too much to list.
If anyone wants to know, I'll dig it all up and post or pm to you.

After a week of tearing old 383 out (this part actually took about and hour) and fitting the 400 and getting everything good to go. It was time to fire. We had gone straight pipes all the way back for time being thinking maybe... NOT! I knew it would be too loud but it was funny obnoxious. It's been fixed.

The build came out great and is scary fast! At about 40 mph, you hit it and the rear tires break free! This is where I was going to say "too big for the car" but I won't.

Still have several things to tidy up and clean up but looks like I'll have time with snow coming tomorrow night it will be in the garage again.

The builder test drove it today after timing and carb adjustments and said he had butterflies driving it. It's going to take some getting used to. 512 is a good number! This old "smog" motor freakin rips! Scary fast. I'm sure someone was scared somewhere!

Here's a few pics..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 435
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 448
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 471
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 437
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 382
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 400
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 385
......I really like my 383 motor.....

I think my 383 was just built by people that didn't know what they were doing. I actually spoke with the machine shop that did the work for them and the first thing he told was what work he did, he remembered everything about that build including his next statement. "I didn't fit the Pistons, the owners did" at the time I didn't catch it. But now, I'm almost sure that the motor is too tight and the rings weren't fit properly etc. I'll be tearing it apart next week to see what the deal is.

That's great news, glad to hear it's ready to pound some Chevies haha. It's funny how often the smog motors get overlooked but most are excellent performance motors just like the chevy 400sb. Enjoy

congrats ! post the video asap

Cool!! But only 10.7-1? What are you afraid of man?! And straight pipes are never obnoxious! :grin:

I curious too on the 383. If it was running just ok and not using oil, I'm betting the cam was just dot aligned and not degreed in. You'd be surprised to know how many engines that I've found this way.

Long tube headers all the way!

We installed a new cam early on. We didn't degree it but it went in correctly. That was what I was told was the issue originally. The cam was too aggressive and produce enough vacuum for the brake booster. Well after pulling the cam (which I had no idea what it was, posted couldn't recall)
The new cam helped the running issue a little but not the brakes. Vacuum came up but wildwood brakes still sucked. Shorten this up.. they had pushrod for master cyl. In backwards, forced in a leaking fluid. Brakes are better.

Anyway, one thing like that after another. Degree the cam may have helped out a little more. But I don't think it's the issue. I'll let you know this week after I tear it apart.

Cranky, the stroker didn't like that 950 originally. Did a kit on it cleaned all up. It was holding fuel in one of the boosters so basically getting double shot? I did something to it so I'll go over it and try again.

Loud exhaust lol!

Here's a very short video. The sound of the video isn't great. It actually makes the car sound much quieter than it really was. Even at idle we got stopped by the police! Fortunately, I knew him and he's a car guy too and he said holy crap that's loud!! You'll get stopped everywhere. He laughed and said let me get a couple miles away before you fire the car back up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=espVswY2-B4&feature=youtu.be

Auto Transport Service
Back