• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Enlighten me ye gurus…please

You can run a bigger cam as you increase displacment and have similar street manners.
If it were mine I would use the original 383 and run a 4.25 stroke. I know guys like to not run the original motors and store them away, but to many times they get separated from the car never to been seen again. If the heads looked decent I would put them back on and have fun.

Last edited:
Thinking about pulling my engine in the next year or so so trying to get a game plan together. Keep in mind, I know next to nothing about engines and moding them.

I have a 67 charger with a 400 (?) currently. It is the 383 with 727 but the guy I bought it from says it was ‘stepped up a cam’ and called it a 400. It has headers, what kind…I have no idea. Holley 570. Edelbrock torker intake, heads have been ported. Just listing what he said it had.

So I guess my question is should I invest time in rebuilding this thing or buy a crate/new engine like a 440

Daily driver, pump gas, sounds BA, typical 500hp desire.

I know there’s a whole lot of personal preference and options, but I’m just looking for some guidance and do’s/dont’s

Thanks for any help!
Not sure how much you know about how engines operate, but a good engine program can help you decide what combination of parts will get you to your HP goals. I use Performance Trends but others are out there. And you will be surprised how much those programs can teach you about how an engine really operates. And it calculates a bunch of other important things like advance curves and octane requirements, etc.
Second I have been building a lot of muscle car type engines Mopar and chevy mostly. I have done a couple 383 Mopar's in the 425 HP range that idle at 17 inches of vacuum, and a couple 500HP 440's that also idle at 17 inches, and run on pump gas. High lift hydraulic roller cams with a shorter duration and some good head porting is how it is done.

https://www.performancetrends.com/Engine-Analyzer.htm

First thing how many miles on the engine and second do a compression test on it to determine its condition. Third skip over the 440 and purchase a modern fuel injected 5.7 crate engine

Does the engine run well? I would confirm what it is for sure #1. The second thing I would do if you are looking for drivability is to look into the new Holly Sniper setup. I guess it works very well and really improves the response along with overall performance. I'm thinking of going this route myself.

First thing how many miles on the engine and second do a compression test on it to determine its condition. Third skip over the 440 and purchase a modern fuel injected 5.7 crate engine
I was thinking the same thing since moneys no object. Plenty of conversion kits out there to streamline the process....although I was really thinking the 392 with the Tremec setup will easily hit that HP mark your looking for.

I’ve been driving this engine for a few years now and it gets me where I’m going, but I haven’t driven any other comparable cars to know if it’s normal. Like I said earlier, it just seems to be off. I had a new srt challenger but I don’t think they’re very comparable haha.

I have been starting to dive into engines more and how they work, but I guess I made this thread as more of a wisdom than knowledge thing. I don’t have enough experience yet to have preferences, so I’m appreciating all the input. And quite honestly, I don’t know if I’ll have have desire to learn as much as most on here know about building. Just looking to be pointed in a direction that’s tried and true.

Miles on the engine are unknown as it was rebuilt but I don’t know at what mileage. And as awesome as dropping a hellcrate in it sounds I do know that I don’t want a hemi. I’m sure it’s dumb, but it’s a look thing.

Money’s not really an issue on a nice setup, but I’m also not going to drop 30k on a car that’s not worth it either haha. I’m a nobody in the middle of nowhere and the only one that will appreciate it. So I just want something fun and reliable

Just gonna touch on this one more time... Like I mentioned in my other post, trans & gears... If the engine runs good more gear will make the acceleration change dramatically & having O/D will make it cruise at speed relatively quiet & comfortably...

I have a 340 powered Challenger with 4:30 gears & O/D ... It is quicker out of the hole & cruises better at highway speed than any of my big block cars...

And if I wanted more I could build & swap in a stroker... But I'm perfectly happy with what I have..

I’ve been driving this engine for a few years now and it gets me where I’m going, but I haven’t driven any other comparable cars to know if it’s normal. Like I said earlier, it just seems to be off. I had a new srt challenger but I don’t think they’re very comparable haha.

I have been starting to dive into engines more and how they work, but I guess I made this thread as more of a wisdom than knowledge thing. I don’t have enough experience yet to have preferences, so I’m appreciating all the input. And quite honestly, I don’t know if I’ll have have desire to learn as much as most on here know about building. Just looking to be pointed in a direction that’s tried and true.

Miles on the engine are unknown as it was rebuilt but I don’t know at what mileage. And as awesome as dropping a hellcrate in it sounds I do know that I don’t want a hemi. I’m sure it’s dumb, but it’s a look thing.
ok so to better help go to some car shows' in your area and talk to someone that has a 440 b-body and ask for a ride then go for a ride in a car with a stroker engine and you will get a feel for what you like and ask that owner what he did and what he payed to get done and what parts were used.

Just gonna touch on this one more time... Like I mentioned in my other post, trans & gears... If the engine runs good more gear will make the acceleration change dramatically & having O/D will make it cruise at speed relatively quiet & comfortably...

I have a 340 powered Challenger with 4:30 gears & O/D ... It is quicker out of the hole & cruises better at highway speed than any of my big block cars...

And if I wanted more I could build & swap in a stroker... But I'm perfectly happy with what I have..
What percent overdriven are you?

for the OP, there has been some good advise here and some not. Like Wild R/T said earlier a stroked 400 is an excellent platform for what you’re looking for. I’m personally a big fan of the 451 (this is a 400 with the stroke of a 440 crank 3.75”) and also the 470 (400 with a 3.915" stroke). You can achieve amazing results with either of these combo’s on a reasonable budget. Either of these combo’s without spending the whole farm can easily achieve you over 500 horsepower and foot pounds of torque which will propel your car past all the 5.0 GT mustangs and SRT 8 challengers etc kicking around.

I agree with the stick with what you have crowd. Go to AutoZone and get a leak down kit from their loaner program and see what the current health of your engine is. If it checks out okay then headers and a 2 1/2 exhaust will give you a great sound and 3.91 or 4.10 rear gears will have you grinning from light to light.
You could also call Jim Spencer at Death Valley Speed Shop. Jim knows a thing or 2 about MOPAR and is also located in Y-town. Ask him about the 66 Belvedere he sold me, Jim likes talking about cars.
I'm only 1 1/2 hours north east of you, if you need a hand with anything send me a message.
Jerry

a quick search suggests a 1969 440 RR was 3/10ths of a second and 1 mph faster than a 383 RR in the quarter mile. (automobile catalog). 14.1 vs 14.4 and 97 vs 96

a proper tune up can yield a lot of missing performance. weakened advance springs or less than ideal timing rob noticeable power

Stroker kits are good value for the money if you are looking for more displacement and stronger internals.
If looking for more power (either stock internals or stroker), get some good flowing aftermarket cylinder heads.
The Trick flow 240s are pretty good, but the recommended rocker arms are expensive.

If you want modern stuff like EFI, serpentine belt system, A/C, high output alternator and overdrive transmission, then go with a newer GEN III hemi.
Updating the old "B" engine with these items will cost way more than buying a good GEN III hemi pullout, but then you need the conversion parts to install it, and likely need to modify the transmission tunnel for the OD transmission.

Thanks everyone so much for your input and help! I’m going to start going back through all this and logging options that have been stated, and then start to study and learn about what you’re talking about and see what option works best for me.

Just needed somewhere to start and as always, y’all overdelivered.

Thanks again

It's not easy to find the right mechanical help. Could go to a drag strip and find a Mopar racer you might talk into looking at it. Is there a local Mopar club in Youngstown?

I’m sure there are but I don’t personally know of any Mopar clubs. We do have Quaker city raceway/drag strip so that’s a good idea I didn’t think about, thanks!

Maybe you just need some glasspacks.

Not intending to start a debate or anything but back in the day in my warmed up, 30 over, 383 whipped more 440s than it lost to.
Reved like a small block with the torque of a big block. Of course driver skill did play a part :D.
Just saying.

Auto Transport Service
Back