• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Home Brew" plating made easy

43tutor

Local time
2:08 AM
Reaction score
So how many of us would like to have that "factory" look on some of our parts? I wanted the factory look on some parts but couldn't find a plating shop that would do the yellow zinc chromate plating. I know there are kits that can be purchased but I've found a way that is much less expensive but yields the same results.

After doing some research on the web and finding someone with some knowledge about this process he shared the process with me. I've been working the past several weeks to plate some of my parts for my 72 SSP restoration. I think the process is now producing pretty good results. Take a look and let me know what you think. The photos show a few washers and my wiper motor that I reconditioned myself.

If there is enough interest in this I will share the process with the members of this forum. This is NOT a store purchased process but something I put together with mostly things I already had in the shop. There are a few key ingredients that will need to be purchased online (Ebay is a good source). In total I have about $50 in supplies.

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 565
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 573
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 566
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 571
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 527
Excellent work! Please share your details!

I'm in. Always looking for new ways to blow up my shop or give myself cancer.
Seriously, I'm up for it.

Please add me, I'm very interested in learning this process!

I'd be very interested to learn how to do what you have done here. Very nice parts!

Nice tease! I'd love to do that at home too. I have the time. I have the shop. I have the parts that need it done to. And I have more than $50.

That's pretty cool. Reminds me of when I watched a guy in texas gold plate some emblems for his Caddy with some kind of solution and a battery charger. ( I think that's what he used).

Auto Transport Service
Back