• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Home made tools

Here's a power piston ring gapper I built (I did copy another fellas' plan but improved it). Uses my Dremel (Craftsman copy) with a small disc. The ring is placed over the center block and pushed against the small bearings by the rear block which closes up the gap on the grinding wheel. Works well.
Mike
IMG_2236.JPG

I whipped this
IMG_2282.JPG
spring compressor up from materials I had in my stash. It fastens to the transmission with 2 pan bolts and gives me enough leverage to install those "shift kit" servo springs (getting old).
Mike

The Superior Billet low/reverse "super" servo is a pain to install with the two sealing rings. Need to have a thin shim to get the seals past the snap ring grove.
At the transmission shop, we had a large pair of welding clamps (deep "c" shape with the vice grip type handle) that you could use to hold the servos down with the install the snap ring. It was more of a holding tool once you manually pushed the servo into place, but quicker to use than a "C" clamp.
At home, i don't have those clamps, so i use a big "C" clamp.
Building a fixture to do this is on my list-to-do if I ever get around to it.

How come you just couldn't chuck it up and cut one side at a time? I often thought of doing that.

How come you just couldn't chuck it up and cut one side at a time? I often thought of doing that.

It has to be exactly parallel. And once I get it dialed in. Then I cut both sides . Otherwise you'll feel a pulse like a warped rotor . And the rotor will only fit on this lathe one way.

Last edited:
One of the best homemade tools I have made in a long time is a Vee belt alignment tool, I need to get a pic. Its very basic and I got the ideal from a Corvette forum; take 2 skate board bearings and get a piece of 1/4" rod (probably about 12" or so). Grind one end to a point, then put the 2 roller skate bearings on the rod; then you place the bearings into one of the pulleys and the rod will point to the center of another pulley (or show how much you are off).

48001847d1469038945-diy-pulley-alignment-tool-pulley-alignment-tool-2.jpg

48001982d1469097038-diy-pulley-alignment-tool-cimg6331.jpg

One of the best homemade tools I have made in a long time is a Vee belt alignment tool, I need to get a pic. Its very basic and I got the ideal from a Corvette forum; take 2 skate board bearings and get a piece of 1/4" rod (probably about 12" or so). Grind one end to a point, then put the 2 roller skate bearings on the rod; then you place the bearings into one of the pulleys and the rod will point to the center of another pulley (or show how much you are off).

View attachment 1034432

View attachment 1034433

I just used a straight edge . But yours is more accurate. I'll probably make one tonight! Thanks!

This thread is a true testament of the talent members possess on the FBBO forum! Fantastic ingenuity and ideas for da next project.

View attachment 1034432

View attachment 1034433
That's brilliant!

I just used a straight edge . But yours is more accurate. I'll probably make one tonight! Thanks!

I have tried all sorts of methods and devices to include straight edges but none of them worked exceptionally well. This method and device are exceptionally accurate for as simple as it is.

Problem solving!
Mike
Yep, and the "neat" thing is a grew up in Smiths Falls where that tool box was made. Russ Beech used to walk across the street in his suit and help me get my control line 049 airplane going on the Hershey chocolate property when I was about 12. The local airport there is named after him.

Auto Transport Service
Back