• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Home made tools

I wanted a sheet metal brake for my shop so I cruised around you tube and stole the best (I thought) ideas and came up with this brake. 50" capacity. I had everything but the casters in my stash.
Mike
1693440158061.jpeg

I wanted a sheet metal brake for my shop so I cruised around you tube and stole the best (I thought) ideas and came up with this brake. 50" capacity. I had everything but the casters in my stash.
Mike
View attachment 1518015
Nice. I have an 8' and a 12' at home just nothing in camp where my airplane decided to take a crap on the flight...
20230830_151031.jpg

20230830_165247.jpg

So, first, my Lathe didn't come with a Steady Rest... The OE one is $1000 & only has a 3.5" capacity... I built this one, it accepts 6" stock... At the point the photo was taken it was a work in progress... It is now fully functional...

IMG_7665.jpg

Next, My shop is kinda small, I can't justify a full size vertical metal cutting bandsaw... I have pretty good horizontal bandsaw... So I built the simple add on table that clamps in the vise allowing mt horizontal band saw to serve as a vertical bandsaw...

IMG_6947.jpg

Next I needed a big fly-cutter... So, I built this...

IMG_7696.jpg

And then I decide I wanted a set of heavy duty V blocks that are Keyed to the table so they are automatically perfectly aligned when I bolt them to the mill...

IMG_7698.jpg

And last, I built my own hydraulic press about twenty years ago... Recently I upgraded it with a small power unit... It'll do 20 tons with the power unit, & if I need more umph I can change a couple levers & still use the hand pump to generate up to 65 tons....

IMG_7755.jpg

IMG_7756.jpg

I have lots of other stuff I've built, but you get the idea....

Very nice equipment! I always thought you were more than just a pretty face!
Mike

Mike
View attachment 1518015
One of those things I'd like to build but can't justify the space it would take....

One of those things I'd like to build but can't justify the space it would take....
My motto is: A man can't have too many garages! Older photo, now there is a full width lean-to on the end of the open trailer stalls.
Mike
IMG_0033.JPG

Spline cutter I made to respline some "C" body axles.
20230901_094513.jpg

Power bead roller
20230901_094604.jpg

T56 stand when installing the t56 into the dart on my own.
20230901_095157.jpg
20230901_095203.jpg

Made this press brake to bend 3/8 flat bar for numerous projects. Goes in the 50 ton hydraulic press. These potos were from the first test. It did handle 1/2 inch plate.
Screenshot_20230901_181135_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230901_181150_Instagram.jpg

Made another quick tool today to remove a fuel pump lock ring on a Honda accord. My welds are horrible but they stuck so if it works it’s good.took 10 minutes to make it
IMG_6622.jpeg

My version of a spanner wrench for the carrier bearing adjusters,

8.75 spanner wrench.jpg

Thanks Mike. Figured why not?? Have the lathe and the mill, why not use them. Where the studs are is on a flat. Hence the mill part. Took me longer to clean up than it did to make them. lol

Thanks Mike. Figured why not?? Have the lathe and the mill, why not use them. Where the studs are is on a flat. Hence the mill part. Took me longer to clean up than it did to make them. lol
I have a set of the Miller OEM spanners but, I seldom use them at once. I too have a lathe and it is really indispensable in a good shop. I thought about a mill but, have a couple friends with them-so.
Mike

Only one thing better than having your own mill, is a buddy with a mill.
Mine sits there for months without any use
But it is nice to have one

Did you do the resplining on a lathe or mill or a shaper? Looks like a lathe tool possibly but cant picture how I'd do it on my lathe?

I don't have access to a shaper or horizontal mill unfortunately...
That is probably intended for use on a mill... If your a total MacGyver type you could use it in a lathe but doing so would require creative fixturing... It would be cheaper & easier to have a shop that does re-splining take care of it for you....

That is probably intended for use on a mill... If your a total MacGyver type you could use it in a lathe but doing so would require creative fixturing... It would be cheaper & easier to have a shop that does re-splining take care of it for you....
yes, My last pair for resplining went to the machine shop to be done.

I am planning on (hopefully sooner than later) getting a fixture for the lathe so I can do some basic milling. Would love a milling machine but just don't have the room very unfortunately.

I am curious about the tool he made though :)

I designed this tool and had a guy from Moparts make it. It is a steady mount for a dial indicator to the crank flange while dialing a bellhousing.

Gus

tool.png

Auto Transport Service
Back