• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Home projects you put off..

QuickBpBp

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:18 PM
Reaction score
Everyone has home projects they put off… I do property maintenance so lots end up not getting done at our place.. Over the past two years a railroad tie wall outlining a one of my wife’s flower beds has been deteriorating.. This past winter was the worst. In spring I finally got it tore out and rebuilt. Only took me a day but those rail road ties are heavier when you get older. Plus I didn’t build the wall originally so it’s tough to make straight pieces curve and look nice. Finally all grown in now and nice to sit out on the deck and look at..Some before and after pics..

73E8CCFD-39B6-43D7-A1AB-66B2CB7D01FD.jpeg

6303DDE7-4903-4FA4-B62B-40DAE4A03767.jpeg

1B1FDD8C-88EF-41A0-BB8A-B0ACF4747F50.jpeg

A0E5100B-71D3-4AFB-BB0E-0706E6299331.jpeg

C9C0AD47-23B1-48EE-918B-870FA2A47840.jpeg

EEC03EB2-A122-4D3C-966C-9B6C92C61CE8.jpeg

286E9BFE-3862-459E-97EF-503ECA6A757E.jpeg

DF556D58-3CFC-4C32-A8AA-062598438EF3.jpeg

IMG_0397.jpeg
IMG_0401.jpeg
IMG_0433.jpeg
IMG_0436.jpeg
IMG_0440.jpeg
IMG_0010.jpeg
IMG_0191.jpeg
IMG_0193.jpeg
IMG_0438.jpeg
IMG_0431.jpeg

I bought this house in 1986 and it had a timber retaining wall at the edge of a 30 foot cliff. The wall was rotted out for many years, but after 26 years here, I finally got around to rebuilding it right, with concrete and rebar. It took a long 8 weeks, but I loved every minute of working on it.

I have a bunch on the backburner, don't remind me! :rolleyes:
Well it ain't gonna fix itself...

I've always been kept busy with "Honey Do's" Coral watches way to much HGTV... I guess she's making up for me not watching any TV...

About a year ago my older sister's husband passed away, He was never much of the "Handyman" type so things were neglected... So I helped her get her place in shape and recently she sold it and moved to a smaller place in a gated community.. She feels much safer so that's a plus.. But the new place while nice needs lots of work too... Luckily no big projects but I've replaced all the wall outlets & switches, added ceiling fans, replaced crusty old sink drains & added new faucets.... The usual eye candy stuff...

Ever get to the point where you want to MOVE and suddenly find yourself needing to reverse many years of neglect in a short time?
Yeah....

1 FPP.JPG

My last house AND this one....
I get involved with the car projects and the house stuff gets delayed and ignored. Now I'm looking to sell and leave but to get top dollar, there are numerous "fixes" and changes to make that are not simple 5 minute jobs.

I put up some outside lights, and they’re not working. I think it’s a j box in the attic, and it’s too hot to play in the attic, at least they look nice :lol:

I am always plugging away at things here. After 35 years, there is always something that needs attention. It never ends.

I am always plugging away at things here. After 35 years, there is always something that needs attention. It never ends.
That happens then it all piles up if you take a break..Putting a new roof on our house this fall not looking forward to that…

View attachment 1502089View attachment 1502090View attachment 1502091View attachment 1502092View attachment 1502093View attachment 1502094View attachment 1502095View attachment 1502096View attachment 1502097View attachment 1502098
I bought this house in 1986 and it had a timber retaining wall at the edge of a 30 foot cliff. The wall was rotted out for many years, but after 26 years here, I finally got around to rebuilding it right, with concrete and rebar. It took a long 8 weeks, but I loved every minute of working on it.
That’s a big project for sure but I know what you mean about satisfying… I do lots of work that’s satisfying like that… This area on a property I manage the pines died and was overgrown. This spring the home owner finally asked me to clean it all up… Very rewarding.

69E18198-8BE9-49EF-BEB6-CD9DE5A258F5.jpeg

AEB3F092-10E0-41BC-850D-E95418107534.jpeg

1649B9E2-4AA8-4441-B53B-58E4F70FD530.jpeg

B829CA79-3356-4B5C-9542-AF2D7574D289.jpeg

I've been needing to upgrade our pool equipment to the new VFD-style pumps. It will require re-working the plumbing and the sub-panel and a little bit of wiring. Not a huge project, but...still haven't gotten to it LOL:rolleyes:

Ever get to the point where you want to MOVE and suddenly find yourself needing to reverse many years of neglect in a short time?
Yeah....

View attachment 1502146

My last house AND this one....
I get involved with the car projects and the house stuff gets delayed and ignored. Now I'm looking to sell and leave but to get top dollar, there are numerous "fixes" and changes to make that are not simple 5 minute jobs.
Ohe ya dude. When we sold our last house in 2016, I fixed and rehabbed and upgraded all kinds of things. Countertops, flooring, fixtures, appliances, bathrooms, new garage door..we had the entire exterior painted, wife painted several interior rooms, and on an on. We did a heck of a lot in about a two-month span.
When it was done we were like wow this place looks great! Do we really want to leave it now?
We did and no regrets. You'll get there!

Everyone has home projects they put off… I do property maintenance so lots end up not getting done at our place.. Over the past two years a railroad tie wall outlining a one of my wife’s flower beds has been deteriorating.. This past winter was the worst. In spring I finally got it tore out and rebuilt. Only took me a day but those rail road ties are heavier when you get older. Plus I didn’t build the wall originally so it’s tough to make straight pieces curve and look nice. Finally all grown in now and nice to sit out on the deck and look at..Some before and after pics..

View attachment 1502051

View attachment 1502052

View attachment 1502053

View attachment 1502054

View attachment 1502057

View attachment 1502059

View attachment 1502060

View attachment 1502061
Nice work! Beautiful property.

Painting, I hate painting...

deck repairs too, I don't mind the carpentry stuff
but any decent redwood went crazy astronomically priced...

If I lived where you live I'd own one of these...

474749967-3498x2332.jpg

Wood is through the roof still for QUALITY stuff. My oldest boy is a carpenter/builder he got a bunch of cedar to build a gate and some posts and boards to repair some railings on a historic mansion I maintain. It was $1100 for materials and he didn’t get a lot..

That’s a big project for sure but I know what you mean about satisfying… I do lots of work that’s satisfying like that… This area on a property I manage the pines died and was overgrown. This spring the home owner finally asked me to clean it all up… Very rewarding.

View attachment 1502183

View attachment 1502185

View attachment 1502187

View attachment 1502188
John Deere 1025? It sure is handy having workhorses around for these chores!
IMG_3957.png

I got this little Kubota BX23S backhoe and it sure makes easy work out of some chores!

Last edited:
One of these days, I need to insulate my upper garage. My garage is built like a bank barn - lower level, 3 garage doors 2 cars deep. Above that, an unfinished 2 BR apt (bare studs, no ceiling, subfloors, some lighting). Behind that, a 40x40 workshop. I use the lower level for parking only; repairs are done in the upper-rear workshop. The apt? Parts storage, tool storage, and motorcycle workshop area (lift, workbench, tools, compressor, as well as some machine tools for the main shop like my drill press, hydraulic press, band saw, etc). But, the motorcycle area is HOT in the summer, and cold enough I stick to tools in the winter. Exterior walls are 2x6 studded so I have plenty of room for HEAVY insulation; I need to hang a ceiling so I can insulate above it...just haven't gotten around to spending that much on something so....not glamorous.

I did sell my old house a few years ago. I lived there for 17 years, then moved to my current house and rented the old house for a decade. Time came to sell it, and I did a TON of work to it. Same feeling as above - "man, this place is NICE now...am I sure I want to sell it??" - but I'm glad I did. I have too many things to take care of as it is...having another home on the list (I still have my rental duplex) would just have been too much.

for me, anything with the house is important, but if it comes between the house and the car, I end up going to the car first and I push the house to the back but then for whatever reason it is very rewarding once it’s done at least, I feel great and good about it and then I look back and wonder why I put it off for so long

Auto Transport Service
Back