• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Homemade Lizard Skin Sound Deadener

HT413

Semi Pro Bowler
Local time
2:17 PM
Reaction score
According to the interweb, it's just exterior grade latex plus micro beads for sound / heat insulation. Heck, I can mix that up myself! What could go wrong?

Great opportunity to rid myself of a previous owner's brilliant idea - welded in seat brackets! PM me if interested - first $490 gets em. Custom!
IMG_4991.JPG

Cleaned up and resprayed the areas that looked suspect, but the floors were solid and rust free.

Don't mind the wires... stereo amp and battery relocate...
IMG_5134.JPG
IMG_5136.JPG

2 gallons plus 2 lbs of beads cost me $70 - bonus: I had the paint color matched in a nice semi gloss. Beads will be in later this week, so stay tuned...

IMG_5139.JPG

thats 1/2 the money....... how are you planning to apply it? I think a cheap undercoat gun will work........

the actual Lizard skin sound control gets hard as a rock, but is definitely latex

This was my secret plan all along for the 67. Have you been reading my mind?

I like the wires, when my rides done it will look similar.
Interesting observation you made. Makes me wish I hadn't painted my interior floorpans with POR15 this winter. I could probably paint over the POR15 though

Beads? What are these beads you speak of?

I can't blame you for looking at alternative options, ridiculous what they want for any of these sound deadening products:eek:!! The only thing I'd be concerned with is adhesion. Good luck.

Why latex, why not a decent automotive enamel?? My issue with latex is its not chemical resistant - spill alcohol or gas on it and it acts like paint stripper.

thats 1/2 the money....... how are you planning to apply it? I think a cheap undercoat gun will work........

the actual Lizard skin sound control gets hard as a rock, but is definitely latex

Yeah I was thinking I'd get an HF uncldercoat gun and have at it.

This was my secret plan all along for the 67. Have you been reading my mind?
Absolutely

Makes me wish I hadn't painted my interior floorpans with POR15 this winter. I could probably paint over the POR15 though
Por15 is awesome - that's the black spots in the pic of my floor pan. You can definitely paint over it.

I can't blame you for looking at alternative options, ridiculous what they want for any of these sound deadening products:eek:!! The only thing I'd be concerned with is adhesion. Good luck.
Yeah, adhesion is a worry. I have some sheetmetal laying around (plan to create a wall between trunk and cabin). Gonna prime and paint it then test out a few coats of my concoction on it before spraying the car.

Why latex, why not a decent automotive enamel?? My issue with latex is its not chemical resistant - spill alcohol or gas on it and it acts like paint stripper.
I'd have thought to go with automotive paint as well (or at least a rhino liner type of material) the Lizard Skin guys say it's an acrylic latex, so that's what I went with. I plan to test it out first either way. If it doesn't work, maybe I'll paint my house to match the car.

Beads? What are these beads you speak of?
According to the interweb, the secret is tiny, hollow glass beads. The entrained air provides sound and heat insulation.

Heck, the interweb created the Kardashians, how could it be wrong?

Last edited:
LMOA
I hope your not posting a picture of your newly painted house anytime soon!

Haha, yeah that picture isn't for the OCD, that's for sure. @Kern Dog , look away brother!

Rest assured it will all be neatly organized and tucked away.

:thumbsup:

I had a friend that mixed this in a latex to spray on the underside of his roof ( attic) and swears it dropped his attic temp from 140 down to 110.
It says it can be mixed in any paint... never thought about it, but thanks for the tip!!!
$14 treats a gallon of paint...
http://www.hytechsales.com/insulating_paint_additives.html

Last edited:
I had a friend that mixed this in a latex to spray on the underside of his roof ( attic) and swears it dropped his attic temp from 140 down to 110.
It says it can be mixed in any paint... never thought about it, bit thanks for the tip!!!

Yep I think that's about the same stuff that I bought. Finer than a human hair and made of glass/quartz.

I understand that the quartz/glass in this additive is what gives the finished coating its super hard finish. One thing I plan to do is paint 2 test sections - one with the additive, one without just to compare.

http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraft.com/item/all-categories/micro-balloons/b23-500--g

There's no ******* way you're going to lay a coat or two if this on an attic and lower the temps by 30 degrees !! I can understand the principle but 30 degrees is just a little too far-fetched.

According to the interweb, it's just exterior grade latex plus micro beads for sound / heat insulation. Heck, I can mix that up myself! What could go wrong?

Great opportunity to rid myself of a previous owner's brilliant idea - welded in seat brackets! PM me if interested - first $490 gets em. Custom!
View attachment 431054

Cleaned up and resprayed the areas that looked suspect, but the floors were solid and rust free.

Don't mind the wires... stereo amp and battery relocate...
View attachment 431051 View attachment 431052

2 gallons plus 2 lbs of beads cost me $70 - bonus: I had the paint color matched in a nice semi gloss. Beads will be in later this week, so stay tuned...

View attachment 431053
You are going to apply all that water based product to your floor pans? I would be very hesitant to do that. If there are any cracks, unpainted spots (invisible to the naked eye) or gaps near seams or any openings that allow that water based paint to contact raw metal, you are going to start the oxidation process = rust. Think of tiny bubbles in a paint job that occurs over time. That is your sheet metal rusting. If you want to do the lizard skin process, I would go to a solvent based paint that will not cause rust. Might be a little harder to apply and smell more, but you will eliminate a potentially major problem. If you don't want to use a solvent base, then at least use a water-based DTM ( Direct-to-metal), which has rust inhibitors. Just my opinion. For the record, I have been selling paint for 40 years.

Why? /\/\
People who claimed the world was round were told that was far fetched....

It says it can be mixed in any paint... never thought about it, but thanks for the tip!!!
hey hey! That stuff could be mixed into bedliner or undercoating and sprayed on. Cool! Gonna get me some.

Auto Transport Service
Back