• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood Hinges

Daytrepper

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:05 AM
Reaction score
Hi all.

Had a worn out drivers side hinge so I bought some new AMD hood hinges for my 66 Coronet.

Installed them. Bolted them up close to where the old ones were. Back of the hood is about 3 inches up too high when I set the hood down. LOL.

On the box, it says they fit 68-70; yet AMD's website says they fit 66-70.

Verified part numbers and all.

I havent messed with the adjustments yet but it looks like there is more adjustment needed than available.

Is there a difference between 66-67 and 68-70 hood hinges? Old ones look the same, but I havent taken any measurements yet.

The hinges may be the same, but springs can vary. Just for a single year for example (1970) the hoods with air grabber mechanisms had stronger springs than the flat hoods.

I've had the back of the hood way too high as well, it doesn't take much adjustment to change it a lot.

Well I think I found the issue.

Even though AMD lists these hinges as fitting a 66....

The new hinges were an exact match measurement wise.

However they are missing a slot for screw that holds the nut plate in and sticks out of the side of the hood; that I didn't notice the other night.

Old hinges back on for now. Hood lined right up. They arent that bad, just one side sticks up after driving awhile, it gets annoying.

From what I can see they got rid of the 4th slot in 1968. The only hinges made new are the "3 slot" style. AMD needs to update their listing.

I reckon when I get time I'll cut a slot in the new ones so I can use them.

See below.

hinge2.jpg

hinge1.jpg

Last edited:
As a side note, many of the 70s pickups used the same hinges (like the second one in your post). I had pulled a few good pairs from a yard here but gave them all away a few years ago. Use the desired spring and the only difference is that single slot...

Auto Transport Service
Back