• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood Insulation

JimKueneman

Local time
7:02 PM
Reaction score
'68 Coronet. I ordered this from Classic:

http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/b-body-coronet/parts/mb2342.html

It is nice but it is not really like the original. It is sort of "crispy" like foam core material. The original was more "fiberglass" insulation like. The Coronet hood has an inverted "scoop" on the passenger side (back side of hood) and the original was soft enough to just form over it. Also the original clips are not quite long enough and actually come flying out with a "pop" as the foam core regains it shape.

They also have this:

http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/b-body-coronet/parts/mb393.html

which seems to be more soft like the original... maybe.

Anyone an expert in the options for under hood insulation and help me understand what I actually need for my Coronet.

Thanks,
Jim

I just installed a new hood insulation pad on my 70 Sports Satellite using the second type of insulation pads you talked about (Cost $25). It molds around the curves of the hood good

IMG_2749.JPG IMG_2750.JPG

Last edited:
There are probably three different styles of hood insulation mats on the market. The first being the yellow fiberglass style which is basically cut to fit under the hood using a generic clip and does not have any details matching the original mats. Secondly, there is a closer match to the originals as they are a black fiber glass material and the outer perimeter is cut to resemble the originals and they use a factory style clip. The third alternative is a actual molded style fiberglass that matches the originals in the molded areas. Like the original message reported, it does not have the softer side to it, but it is the most correct in appearance and fit. It is sold by REM and I believe that Repops also makes them as well. REM is a manufacture and you will have to purchase from your preferred REM vendor. Personally, the REM molded unit is the only one that we carry. The thing about it is that these things are very fragile and shipping requires it to go double oversize, so the shipping to some destinations can be almost as expensive as the product.
As for the clips, I know of at least three different vendors that are making them and none of them are as good as the factory originals and they all have their issues. I always suggest using good originals when ever possible. If you have any other concerns or questions, drop me a private message and I will be glad to try to assist you.

Yes, the clips are tuff to get in, but that stiff, formed, insulation is like what your car originally came with. You need to take into account, that original insulation had 30+ years to soften up some.

On some of the clips I had to take a small file and file a small seat/notch in the outside of the legs to catch on the hood sheet metal when pushed in. Otherwise as said, some of them just sprang back out.

Auto Transport Service
Back