• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood Scoop Supports

Blackheart

Local time
12:24 AM
Reaction score
I'm putting this scoop (see pic) on my 63 Fury, not because I wanted to but had to in order to close the hood with the carb setup I am using, but that's another story. From talking to people and looking at pictures I am going to put scoop supports in the front of the scoop. I am going to use a short Savoy hood spear so I am I can't really put a support in the middle like most I see in the pictures. I plan to use two, one on each side equidistant from the middle.

My question is what did you guys that have scoop supports use to make your supports? Is it hollow with a long bolt all the way through or threaded on each end? I am making a cruiser/show car with no intention to race it. I want it functional but also something that looks good as well.

63 New Scoop.jpg

I don't know if it did or not, I'm not restoring this car to original, I'm building it like I want it, I did use a Mopar style hood scoop for that era car. I'm not sure what your question is exactly, I had to have a scoop in order to close the hood.

Poly in car.jpgy.

I used aluminum pipe and a stainless steel washer between the pipe on the hood and also a small gasket in between not to scrape up the hood and the nut in a scoop and a long bolt coming up from the hood and I buffed the aluminum pipe

That hood scoop looks like its good quality! How is the rest of it mounted? Where did you get it?

tell us about the engine looks AWESOME.

Nice set-up. I used a piece of stainless steel rod, threaded on both ends, with nylock nuts and flat washers on mine. BTW, that is a later hemi scoop, exactly what I put on my 63 Fury. Good choice...

Attachments

• DSCN3588.jpg
    DSCN3588.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 479
  • DSCN3659.jpg
    DSCN3659.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 451
Scoop picture 1.jpgScoop picture 2.jpgScoop pic 3.jpg

Scoop attachment here was done using aluminum tube over 2 self locking nuts and center was done using a stainless flat bracket with nut tig welded to bracket attached to back of scoop tab. I rolled the edges over after I cut out triangle, leaving hood brace intact.

Are you guys attaching the supports to the underside of the scoop or is it just resting on top of it?

Nevermind last post painted the picture

Thats actually the 64 Hemi scoop as it did not come on the 63 from the factory. But it looks good on them and fits just right because the 63 and 64 hoods are the same. My brother just put that same scoop on his 64 earlier this year and I think he got it from the same company as they were out of Flordia. Its a good scoop and I dont think he put anything in the middle of his as I cant see anything in this pic. But most seem to do like "coloradodave" did. Good luck with the car as it looks like its gonna be a real nice 63 and as you can tell I kinda really like 63 Plymouths ! Ron

409640770.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The 63 Max Wedge cars with the aluminum front end and the hood scoop came with this scoop like on my 63. The early 64's also used it with the Max Wedge cars and when the Hemi started going in the 64 Cars they went with the scoop you have so the 64's had both. But I see alot of 63's with that scoop as it fits perfect since the 63 and 64 hoods are the same and many like that scoop better on their 63's. My brother likes that scoop better as thats why he put it on his 64 and I just happen to like the 63 scoop best but it could be because they came on the 63's and I got used to seeing them on the 63's so that may be why I like the 63 scoop. Most call the scoop you are using the Hemi scoop and the one I use the Max Wedge scoop but anyone can use it on any car they like unless your restoring to factory correct which I tried to give my 63 the 63 look but its not all factory correct either. Its just how I like it and thats how most of us do our cars. I really like that scoop on "coloradodave's" 63 as his looks really great with it as I am sure your 63 will also. Ron

408817568.jpg

I don't know if it did or not, I'm not restoring this car to original, I'm building it like I want it, I did use a Mopar style hood scoop for that era car. I'm not sure what your question is exactly, I had to have a scoop in order to close the hood.

View attachment 213379y.

My question was did that scoop come on the 63 Plymouth?
Just a simple question. You can put anything on your car you want. I have both scoops and two hoods for my 64.
Nothing more than that. Just a question.
I like the car either way. The 63 has always been my favorite. I Just happen to have a 64 now.
I have two post on that style of scoop one on each outside ridge, on the one like Ron's 63 I have one in the middle.
The 63 and 64 hoods are the same except for the hood latching area.

FYI, I had to cut the hood to clear my air filter housings, the Max Wedge type scoop would not have worked with it's dip in the middle, which is precisely where I needed clearance. I had to put spacers under the carbs for the front carb bowl to clear the intake water inlet causing them to sit up so high that it required the hood to be cut and therefore a scoop was required. My having a scoop was more out of necessity than looks. I really didn't want to cut the hood.

Could you please post some pics of the underside and mounting flange of the AAR scoop? Thanks!

Thanks, I didn't see that on the site. Are the flanges thick enough or do they need to be beefed up a little?

FYI, I had to cut the hood to clear my air filter housings, the Max Wedge type scoop would not have worked with it's dip in the middle, which is precisely where I needed clearance. I had to put spacers under the carbs for the front carb bowl to clear the intake water inlet causing them to sit up so high that it required the hood to be cut and therefore a scoop was required. My having a scoop was more out of necessity than looks. I really didn't want to cut the hood.

You are right as the center dip on my Max Wedge scoop is barley higher then the hood itself and it does not give much more room then the flat hood. But I dont mind as I like the original factory size scoop and look. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back