• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood scoop

My 1970 Plymouth Satellite needs more fresh air to the engine compartment. I can't justify $2000+cad for a custom fibreglass hood. Below is a picture of the car, along with a close up of the hood, top and underneath. I love the A12 style scoop, but it wasn't used in 1970. I believe the Air Grabber was used. So I need some direction here. If I decide on the A12 or the Air Grabber, it will result in me cutting my hood, and installing the new scoop. What reinforcing will be required to make sure my hood remains structurally sound? The Air Grabber looks smaller, and one of the reasons for doing this mod will be installing a full size 14x3" air filter, instead of the 14x2" I'm running currently. What other factors am I missing on doing this mod? Will an A12 look really out of place on my '70? Thanks all.

View attachment 1517367

View attachment 1517368

View attachment 1517369

no help here , but I watched an air tunnel test of an air grabber on a plymouth , was way better than most people think , in fact was great ...

Depends what You want to do for starters but I mophed a show hood scoop on to a real hood. I might also have a N92 hood with the 2 scoops, I could sell. Will need to dig it out and see what shape it's in. I would have the carburetor to shoop box as well. Will be Monday before I head to the shop.

pre clear coat 3 with Pete.jpg

100_0804.JPG

Depends what You want to do for starters but I mophed a show hood scoop on to a real hood. I might also have a N92 hood with the 2 scoops, I could sell. Will need to dig it out and see what shape it's in. I would have the carburetor to shoop box as well. Will be Monday before I head to the shop.

View attachment 1519583

View attachment 1519586
That looks great. I'm pretty sure the forum has convinced me not to cut my original hood up. I'm going to see what happens for work this winter, and might treat myself to a new hood next spring. Fibreglass, using hinges, with the A12 scoop.

The 18" plastic (nylon?) fan is what I use on my 62. It keeps my 500hp 440 cool ( with a high efficiency core 28" copper Cordoba big block radiator and shroud). I KNOW it costs some power, proved by Engine Masters fan test, .... but it's in a 95% bracket car, and the ultimate hp number don't matter much. Being cool after a pass to enable hot lapping does.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back