• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood scoops did they help!?!?

In my experience back in 69, I had a 69 Super Bee with a 383 4 speed and 3.55 cogs. A buddy had the same setup in his except he had the ram air hood which mine didn't. We street raced six times one day and tried to see how much difference the ram air helped his car. We ran pretty much side by side with the ram air open or closed. Only difference we could come up with was his hood was cooler than mine.

In my experience back in 69, I had a 69 Super Bee with a 383 4 speed and 3.55 cogs. A buddy had the same setup in his except he had the ram air hood which mine didn't. We street raced six times one day and tried to see how much difference the ram air helped his car. We ran pretty much side by side with the ram air open or closed. Only difference we could come up with was his hood was cooler than mine.
—-
Very interesting info!
I’m starting to think that for guys that need a scoop for space purposes just let it blow through. I’ve got my air bell tight to the hood plenum and nothing gets by, it all goes in. I’m also suspect that it’s messing up my carb signal somehow cause I’m getting flat spots and strange lags at high speeds. Like 33, I’m trying some different stuff next season. I’d love to be able to run no scoop at all but that’s not a choice.

—-
Very interesting info!
I’m starting to think that for guys that need a scoop for space purposes just let it blow through. I’ve got my air bell tight to the hood plenum and nothing gets by, it all goes in. I’m also suspect that it’s messing up my carb signal somehow cause I’m getting flat spots and strange lags at high speeds. Like 33, I’m trying some different stuff next season. I’d love to be able to run no scoop at all but that’s not a choice.

I'm pretty sure a High HP Hemi that likes lots of air would benefit from the extra breathing but who know when enough is enough or too much. Trial and error will make the decision. Good luck getting it handled.

Yeah there is lots of experimentation that can be done. Others have said, get ready for a jet change, with a plate seal, but i don't even know which direction to start going? Richer, or leaner? All i know, is that the quickie half-fast plate on my 850, and the elaborate one for the maxwedge intake , with two nice bellmouth intakes, notched and sealed around the wiper motor, etc, both slowed down the car without carb adjustments made for the seal.
I am going to try the plate for the 850 again. I have a beautiful max-drop air cleaner made from spun aluminum. Unfortunately, i never found a carb that i could use it on. Too much drop, never cleared a fuel inlet, or throttle linkage, on anything! However the lid is shaped like the inverse of a velocity stack, and maybe just the lid, on top of an air cleaner element might straighten out the airflow. I'll give that a try next time out too.
I have also heard, and seen , relief holes for air evacuation in plate seals and the back of hoodscoops, so that too much air doesnt get trapped in the scoop and stagnate. I have no idea if it works.

Last edited:
Stock engine that came in the car with an overbore of .060. Stock hood scoop that is not facing backwards, like the Cheevy boys do it. Stock carbs that are jetted right. Just over 3200 pounds with driver and these cars are running 8.40- 9.00. ss/ah

Huge difference a "cold air box" made on this car.
It doesn't matter that it's a "Ford". The point is Leno didn't want an air scoop, but the hot air building up under the hood got so bad WITH FUEL INJECTION (would be worse with carbs I'd think?) the engine would kill at a stop from sucking in hot air.
Go to 4:35, listen and learn...

Oh, and...

On low profile hood scoops like the max wedge or the hemi scoops in the early 60s you are basically just giving the engine bay another way to eliminate some heat. It has been shown the there is too much turbulence near the front of the hood for the air to ram in through those thin slots. Much higher hood scoops or cowl hoods were invented to get the air bouncing off the windshield which actually feeds more air in. I have the hemi scoop on my 64 and it’s looks badass but I ain’t going any faster

Hmm thats what my friends said about both my AAR scoop on my cuda and the hemi scoop on my 67 Belvedere. Well that was until I ran it back to back and they saw the results. Both were almost 2 tenths faster in the 1/4 witht scoop sealed. I used to have video showing the airflow. Was pretty simple to show with strings taped in and around the scoop.

3103D95F-B91F-4179-8B8F-520B9C92BD06.png
I put the functional scoops on the Challenger. YouTube claims a temp drop. Did it due to the Blower install. No way to know. When parked, you can feel it venting some heat if nothing else.

almost 2 tenths faster in the 1/4 witht scoop sealed.
So that would be an airflow issue, if I understand the posts regarding this.
I would like to think that once I get all of the parts for my 70 N96 Air Grabber completed, that particular setup, basically as the factory designed it, WILL provide cooler air, and I'm thinking that the design of the airbox that seals to the air cleaner assembly, and the air filter itself should provide a clean airflow into the carbs.
Oh and....:bananadance::bananaweed::lol::poke::drinks::carrot:

I may have to try it with the filter, and maybe with just the base, but unless I'm picking up 2/10ths by removing the air filter, I'd rather have clean air going in the carbs.
If your average A/F ratio is 13:1 and you burn 1/3rd of a gallon of gas in a 1320 run, that's a good bit of dirty air! Now what I really don't understand is people who don't run air filters ever, and drive around like that. That's a LOT of dirt being sucked into an engine!

Well, if you are going to put on a HOOD SCOOP, may as well have a REALLY BIG SCOOP....LOL
This induction system actually required this big scoop to clear the aluminum sheet metal tunnel ram with the 2 Dominators mounted on top of the intake....

1.jpg 2.jpg

My direct experience was with my '65 Coronet. Ran with the stock & 850, added a snorkel scoop & foam sealed air pan, picked up at least 1 MPH. Took the air pan off, lost 1/2- MPH. My 6 Pak also liked the air pan.

Auto Transport Service
Back