• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hoosiers!!!

Longknife

Local time
9:31 AM
Reaction score
I picked up a nail in one of my Hoosier slicks. Took it to the tire repair shop and they patched it from the inside. They said the rubber is so thin on the inside that the cord shows through when u buff it and the patches usually don't hold well. It still leaks!!! What are my options?////////////

I picked up a nail in one of my Hoosier slicks. Took it to the tire repair shop and they patched it from the inside. They said the rubber is so thin on the inside that the cord shows through when u buff it and the patches usually don't hold well. It still leaks!!! What are my options?////////////
Buy a new tire if tubes are not in your budget, though a tire may cost as much as tubes these days. Don't chance thin rubber and a possible blow out at speed.

This is one reason I am going Drag Radials. Nitto 275-60-15. If they ever get off of back order. Next year most likely, Sheesh.

Why take a chance with a tire that has cords showing? I'd just buy a new tire and be done with it. Better safe than sorry.

The last time this happened to me I bought an identical pair of slicks and kept the good one as a spare.
It seems like when ever you have a spare you don't get any flat tires!

Take to a recapper and see if they can reline the insides or if they can't see if they can have them hot vulcanized

Last edited:
I tried tubes twice and hated them....

First set was in my low 11 second dart, I was poor H.S kid and tried getting away with non-race type tubes. They lasted about 1 pass. When the tires wrinkled (even as little as they did at that ET) the tubes got caught in the wrinkles and ripped them.

Put a good set of tubes in the car, and it never seemed to handle right. Car kind of wandered down track, and when I put new wheels/tires on - it went away. The wheels I had couldnt hold air, was the reason for tubes in the first place.

Ah the joy of being in HS making 3.65 an hour..... trying to make that money stretch a little bit.

Now that I have had a bit of a racing hiatus and considering getting back into it with my 66 for a little weekend fun - the drag radial definitely have my attention.

Auto Transport Service
Back