• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

horn ring not making contac to ground

moparjohnny

Local time
7:48 PM
Reaction score
i have replaced horn,relay switch.i added a factory wood wheel.how to test horn ring.was working before change. thanks

Is the column itself grounded? Did it work before the change?

Well that eliminates a ground issue unless you removed the column. Sounds like the contact plates are not "contacting" take like 1000 grit paper and work it around...You connected the top wire below the button correct? Check that as well..

i have replaced horn,relay switch.i added a factory wood wheel.how to test horn ring.was working before change. thanks

Hey Johnny, please break this down for us in detail. What parts where in there before when it worked? What parts have you changed now that it doesn't work?

One super easy test is to just twist off that center horn pad. The single black wire should be connected to the "horn mechanism". Take that wire off & touch it to the center of the steering shaft where the big nut is.

1. Horn "beeps" - Then the horn mechanism isn't touching the center metal base of the steering wheel. Take moparnation's advice & sand the back of the "horn mechanism" AND the center metal base of the steering wheel to get nice shiny metal. All this is to get a better ground obviously.

2. Horn does not "beep" - something else is wrong.
a. column ground (thanks moparnation)
b. wiring to horn
c. horn relay
d. horn itself
e. horn itself if not grounded to body (sand behind it too)

You may have to run a jumper wire from one side of the rag joint to the other, at the coupling to achieve ground.

You may have to run a jumper wire from one side of the rag joint to the other, at the coupling to achieve ground.

Wow, good tip. I've never had that problem, but it makes sense Yatzee

Wow, good tip. I've never had that problem, but it makes sense Yatzee
problem solved guys,i traced the relay switch wire back to firewall and it was twisted around in a knot,unraveled it then i heard clicking in relay,tried horn and got clicking which i did not have before,then removed new horn and put old horn back then i heard beep,beep,new horn has paint on back, i need to clean for a good ground,we are beeping again.thanks everyone for the help.

problem solved guys,i traced the relay switch wire back to firewall and it was twisted around in a knot,unraveled it then i heard clicking in relay,tried horn and got clicking which i did not have before,then removed new horn and put old horn back then i heard beep,beep,new horn has paint on back, i need to clean for a good ground,we are beeping again.thanks everyone for the help.

SWEET! You might want to put in a butt connector (or solder/shrink wrap) that spot where the knot was.... I bet the wire inside is half broken, just at that spot.

Auto Transport Service
Back