• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Horse Power VS Hood clearance

AZ Steve

Local time
2:41 AM
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m looking to build a moderately performing 440, to do so I will need much better flow numbers than most stock heads will provide. Its to labor intensive and not efficient to port a set of 906`s or the 915`s I have, I am not a purest however I`d like the engine to appear somewhat stock. not all manifold and carb.

As everyone knows early B Bodies have hood clearance problems. I am specifically interested in the B body years of 1966-1967. I’ve got a 67 GTX and don’t want to cut the hood. Which means using max wedge heads isn’t really an option due to the height of the intake manifold`s. I don’t want to use dual carbs, so the cross ram isn’t an option either.

Here is what I am considering as a possible option to get the best bang for the buck. Most 440 engine heads have the same weak spot which is poorly designed exhaust ports, raising the port helps. But full CNC exhaust porting really is the ticket. According to all the DYNO simulations I have run the gain can be as much as 80 horsepower. while using a good flowing dual plane intake that is properly port matched (not gasket matched) to a good aftermarket head such as an INDY SR with a lightly touched as cast stock intake port, and a fully CNC raised exhaust port.

My question: has anyone ever done this and I`d like to hear suggestions you may have concerning horse power and hood clearance, as I said this issue is with a 1967 GTX.

Last edited:
What is your performance goal?

Which means using max wedge heads isn’t really an option due to the height of the intake manifold`s

The option to find an old NASCAR max wedge single carb intake manifold IS a possibility ($$ and rare), and then you can run closed chambered MW factory, INDY 440-1's, Victors or TF's and use your stock hood. I've heard some say that wasn't a good performing manifold..... I call BULLSH*T.... It's all relative.... Of course there more modern higher flowing manifolds out there today, but I know they still outflow virtually all stock set-ups that will fit under the hood (meaning any non-maxie set-up). Your proposition is a whole lot of expensive labor IMO, when you could buy the parts (ports) already greatly enlarged and still have room to improve if need be. /my two cents, end rant mode lol. Good Luck anyway, Lefty71

What is your performance goal?
the attachment show`s the area I`d like to be these numbers were done with 10.5 compression, and a high flow duel plain intake.

Oh, I'm running a TREMEC TKO 600 with a .64 over drive. giving me a final drive ratio of 2.62, meaning 80 mph = 2300 rpm so the power band is important.

sim pick.JPG

Last edited:
The option to find an old NASCAR max wedge single carb intake manifold IS a possibility ($$ and rare), and then you can run closed chambered MW factory, INDY 440-1's, Victors or TF's and use your stock hood. I've heard some say that wasn't a good performing manifold..... I call BULLSH*T.... It's all relative.... Of course there more modern higher flowing manifolds out there today, but I know they still outflow virtually all stock set-ups that will fit under the hood (meaning any non-maxie set-up). Your proposition is a whole lot of expensive labor IMO, when you could buy the parts (ports) already greatly enlarged and still have room to improve if need be. /my two cents, end rant mode lol. Good Luck anyway, Lefty71
Thanks for the manifold option, Ill look into it. Also there are a couple of nice duel plain manifods that can be opened up to the max intake port.

So, you want to make the engine to look stock, but then you say Max Wedge heads.
Stock or not stock? I would either port a set of 915's and use an Indy Dual plane
intake that will have no problem fitting under the hood, or Buy a set of Indy Max-Wedge
heads AND an Indy Dual Plane intake that will have no problem fitting under the
hood. Their Dual Plane Max-Wedge intake works marvelous!

Hard to make a modified engine look stock.
I have the 440 source stealth heads, but by the time I added headers and aftermarket intake it dosen't looks stock.
Had the Edelbrock RPM intake and with the carb and a decent height air filter, it would not fit under the hood of the '69 Coronet.

The Holley Street Dominator intake is not very tall and might work:
https://www.holley.com/products/eng...ed_intake_manifolds/single_plane/parts/300-14

I'm going to use the Street Dominator on the engine for the Jensen. Not much hood clearance there.
Not worried about being single plane, it will likely have a Sniper EFI.

So, you want to make the engine to look stock, but then you say Max Wedge heads.
Stock or not stock? I would either port a set of 915's and use an Indy Dual plane
intake that will have no problem fitting under the hood, or Buy a set of Indy Max-Wedge
heads AND an Indy Dual Plane intake that will have no problem fitting under the
hood. Their Dual Plane Max-Wedge intake works marvelous!
I've checked with INDY there Duel plane doesn't come with the max wedge port it can be opened up (ported) to the max wedge intake size. According to the measurements I will only have 1/2 inch clearance between the air cleaner top and the Carb air horn with a 5 1/2 inch tall intake. I have a CH4B i was thinking about porting to get the most flow i could.
As far as looking stock I don't want a tall single plain look. The 915 will never flow what a raised exhaust port will. besides I don't really want to port my stock 915`s

Please any other suggestions would be great.

Last edited:
Maybe it's an older intake, but I purchased an Indy Dual Plane Max Wedge intake from
a FBBO member here about six months ago. They're listed on Hughes web site.

I've checked with INDY there Duel plane doesn't come with the max wedge port it can be opened up (ported) to the max wedge intake size. According to the measurements I will only have 1/2 inch clearance between the air cleaner top and the Carb air horn with a 5 1/5 inch tall intake. I have a CH4B i was thinking about porting to get the most flow i could.
As far as looking stock I don't want a tall single plain look. The 915 will never flow what a raised exhaust port will. besides I don't really want to port my stock 915`s

Please any other suggestions would be great.

Max power and stock look is best achieved with a 500 in motor and ported Stealth heads. The bigger motor allows a larger cam while maintaining better idle and low speed quality.

Your HP goal is not that high, so the Eddy RPM, SD and Indy daul plane manifolds will be able to support that power level and will all fit under your hood. The SD will fit the easiest under the hood, but the Indy and RPM can be made to fit too.

You might be able to make 500 hp with the CH4B

Max power and stock look is best achieved with a 500 in motor and ported Stealth heads. The bigger motor allows a larger cam while maintaining better idle and low speed quality.

Your HP goal is not that high, so the Eddy RPM, SD and Indy daul plane manifolds will be able to support that power level and will all fit under your hood. The SD will fit the easiest under the hood, but the Indy and RPM can be made to fit too.

You might be able to make 500 hp with the CH4B
THANKS! for the Info, I considered a stroker but have a fresh bottom end in hand. Last i checked the stealth heads were on serious wait back order I will check again. I'm sorry please define SD I'm missing it.
Crap street dominator got it

Thanks again.

With a 440 you can make 550+ HP with ported 906 or 915 heads. The intake ports are critical. Mostly in the intake bowl area and narrowing the guide bosses, some opening of the pushrod lump helps. Some of the high 500 lift or low to mid 600 cams make good power.
The Indy EZ-1 Max Wedge port heads make power, about 700 with my 512.

With a 440 you can make 550+ HP with ported 906 or 915 heads. The intake ports are critical. Mostly in the intake bowl area and narrowing the guide bosses, some opening of the pushrod lump helps. Some of the high 500 lift or low to mid 600 cams make good power.
The Indy EZ-1 Max Wedge port heads make power, about 700 with my 512.
Hows your hood clearance?

On my '66 Satellite with the 512 & Indy MW heads, Max Wedge Dominator intake with a drop base K&N cleaner it barely fits under my tall '66 Hemi scoop.
If you use the old iron heads with a '70's style intake like a TM7 & 850 DP you can make over 500HP and have no hood clearance issues. TM7's or the Weiand X manifold from the '70's fit just fine & make decent power.

Maybe it's an older intake, but I purchased an Indy Dual Plane Max Wedge intake from
I keep going back to that intake it really looks like what Id use. Ill check on Hughes site maybe a can mill 1/4 off the top and get clearance.

On my '66 Satellite with the 512 & Indy MW heads, Max Wedge Dominator intake with a drop base K&N cleaner it barely fits under my tall '66 Hemi scoop.
If you use the old iron heads with a '70's style intake like a TM7 & 850 DP you can make over 500HP and have no hood clearance issues. TM7's or the Weiand X manifold from the '70's fit just fine & make decent power.
I was actually wondering if something was produced back in the day Ill check the old Weiand line.

Thanks again

Thank you, Hughes is making them. I want to use the full max wedge port if possible. it will be close time to see if I can find room

max wedge indy.JPG

I was actually wondering if something was produced back in the day Ill check the old Weiand line.

Thanks again

Don't think any of the old manifolds will work with a MW head. The Weiand was "Xcellerator" I think.
You can make those old iron heads do pretty well if you do the porting. I did all my own porting back in the day. Not as good as the aluminum heads, but still pretty good power

Don't think any of the old manifolds will work with a MW head. The Weiand was "Xcellerator" I think.
You can make those old iron heads do pretty well if you do the porting. I did all my own porting back in the day. Not as good as the aluminum heads, but still pretty good power
LOL, well I've ported a cast iron head or two. To be honest for my application the ill do everything to make the aftermarket stuff work. I would port the aluminum intake at least with aluminum you don't look like, smell and taste it.

Last edited:
your correct i am still exploring an as cast intake port and a fully CNC`d raised exhaust on a indy SR head

Auto Transport Service
Back