• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hose Clamp Question

Used on my 69 383 Roadrunner. No issues. Sadly I forgot where purchased but where correct color code. Just make sure use proper pliers. I have old USA Craftsman with rotating tips so worked very well. The same style clamps are used on older washing machines so may be able get the pliers at appliance repair shop. Please remember to clock all clamps

Those clamps are vastly superior over the band clamps. If you really choose to use the band clamps use the lined clamps.the spring clamps use a pair of pliers designed for the job.

Yes, they are called Corbin clamps. They are not affected by heat or cold but screw clamps are. Eventually screw clamps will loosen and they will leak. They need to be tightened on a regular basis. Use Corbin Clamp Pliers or risk your vision and your paint job. Even then, use safety glasses. They work great, but be safe. Do not use regular pliers with them.

If where you source them are good, they have ones that fit the thin wall hose and thick wall hose. Then they will not leak. I just went through this on my Cuda. It was a PIA until I found the two types. I got the correct ones on EBAY. I looked under Corbin clamps. The guy was very helpful. No need to hide screw types just get it right. They look original then.

these for the modern style- also can be used in the classic style for hard to reach areas-

AST-9409A.jpg

These for the classics-

31k-UF18DIL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Ive used these clamps with great success. They are called CORBIN CLAMPS. B4 installing a hose, be it a heater hose or a radiator hose, insure that the fitting is round and not distorted. I coat the hose's ID with Permatex Hi-tack sealant, have the Corbin clamp installed on the hose, an inch or so back from the installed position and slip the hose over the fitting, then expand the clamp using Corbin clamp pliers, and slip it over the fitting, positioning the clamp approximately 1/2" from the end of the hose, then releasing the the clamp. I've not experienced a leak. The Hi-tack sealant provides a flexible seal that will prevent a leak.
Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

View attachment 1149289
Excellent post. I use indian head, as I have for 50 years.

Another little dab of info here, if I may. When you remove an old hose, what do you notice ? The clamp area is shrinked. A properly sized Corbin clamp maintains even spring clamping pressure. A screw clamp only has the pressure applied when first installed,as the area shrinks the pressure loosens.

Never used sealant on hoses.

Never had to.

If it doesn't seal with a clamp. something else is wrong.

Never used sealant on hoses.

Never had to.

If it doesn't seal with a clamp. something else is wrong.
Agreed with your post. A clamp (heat shrink type)
works good in applications where the tube is
out of round or the bead has been flattened or
damaged. They will even seal a tube with no
bead.

Auto Transport Service
Back