• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hot ignition desired

A lot of misinformation, as usual. You cannot change the dwell of the Chrys elec ign system [ post #18 ].

Low resistance plug wires do NOT automatically make more power. These wires are usually spiral would, a thin wire wound over a ferrite core. The resistance is that of the wire. When metal wire is used, you introduce inductance into the cct, along with capacitance & resistance. I have seen a test of about 10-12 different spark plug leads tested. The leads that made the highest hp did NOT have the lowest resistance.

Below is one reason [ one of many reasons ] why the Chr elec ign is not as good as HEI.

img296.jpg

i've been messing with the ignition on my '69 r/t for the past couple of weeks. prior to this i tried to keep a "hotter" ignition user different varables to get more voltage to the coil. car never ran smooth, plugs never burned clean. starting taking voltage out of the coil (pertronix) and getting the electronics more inline with factory settings and the car has never ran or performed better. idle is much smoother, driving and power much smoother, took the lower rpm surge out of the engine; and this is with a stock smog avs with factory jetting. i think there may be distinct advantages to hotter ignitions in race type stuff but for me i'm sticking with the old inductive type system.

i never thought coils would make much of a differance until i swapped out a

MSD Blaster 2 Ignition Coils 8202,​

for this 1.

MSD Blaster HVC Ignition Coils 8252,​

runs cleaner, much easier starting and made specifically for the msd 7al series.

and i never thought i would pay 200.00 for a coil ! and they have the hvc2 thats almost twice as much....
msd 7al3 with an aluminum bodied chrysler tach drive electronic distributor with locked timing utilizing the msd's start Retard circuit. on the street.

a lot of misinformation 'as usual' ?

no ignition system, coil, plug wires or plugs MP/CEI nor HEI, Crane, MSD or not
(even points for the purists)
no matter who makes it or who claims to say it
makes more power
better hotter systems, even low ohm resistance wires
(resistance is usually a spark/voltage/amperage killer in all electronics)
less resistance it all just allows you a better chance to get the spark to the plug,
to burn the fuel, you are putting thru the engine more efficiently
It 'could' result in more power, the ignition style alone, wires or coil doesn't add it

IMO DC/MP/CEI biggest issue, is the ballast resistor inline 9vlt-ish vs 12 vlts
going to the coil &/or the box, 12vlts (or more) of many other performance ignition systems

opinions vary vastly, obviously

Last edited:
Some things are opinions, other things are proven facts.

Auto Transport Service
Back