• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hotels in Las Vegas

Nxcoupe

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:18 AM
Reaction score
I am coming to Vegas Sunday, March 19 and have to get my own hotel room for Sun and Mon nights. Point of this is, I wanted to know which hotels to stay away from? I was looking at circus circus and a couple others. Any input on your personal experiences is appreciated!

Circus Circus is old & kinda rough... (It was pretty new when my family moved to Vegas back in 74)

If you want to be on the strip there are plenty of options... Personally when I'm in Vegas I rarely go to the strip so I stay at the Aliante, nice place, reasonable rates, good restaurants. away from the crowds... If I want to hit the strip it's fifteen minutes away...

Stayed at the Circus in November for SEMA . Close to the convention center which is good , the restaurants at the resort were not so hot , that was bad . Our rooms had been upgraded recently , but had no coffee maker or fridge . Parking is very easy there , especially if you have a trailer .
We did find a great Kabob/Pizza place across L.V. Blvd in the shopping center . I have stayed at the Silverton several times and would prefer it , except it is far from the convention center . Stayed at the Cannery a couple years ago but it was pretty mangy/dirty/rundown . Stayed at Arizona Charlies a couple years ago , room was good but only felt secure in that neighborhood when my 1911 was on my hip . Lindo Michoacan restaurants are a good bet for Mex food , the one out towards Henderson has a great bar/view .

Need some details to make a good recommendation. So will you have a car? Time to kill and want to see that the sights and maybe a show? Or don't have much time because there for work and want to avoid the crowds? Used eating at Denny's and staying at the Motel 6, or eating at Spago's and staying at the Four Seasons?

Sorry, good point, no car. Will need airport shuttle or Lift. Circus circus is out then :thumbsup:
How about the pyramid looking place?

I wouldn't go to the Circus anyway, unless I had a station wagon full of kids along. How about the rest of the details, work or fun, money is tight or you can splurge? I don't live in Vegas, but I've been going there several times a year for about the last 45 years and have stayed in most of the name hotels there.

Work, going early to see the dodge exhibition on Monday, possibly go out to the show at the track on sunday. I don't want to waste money on an overpriced bed and a shower.

I'm a Fremont Street kind of guy and stay at the Golden Nugget. The bars and lots of varied music are close and there is A LOT less walking than being on the strip.

I'm a Fremont Street kind of guy and stay at the Golden Nugget. The bars and lots of varied music are close and there is A LOT less walking than being on the strip.
Fremont Street is entertaining... Less so since Covid hopefully it's recovering...

Ok, I usually recommend Fremont Street for those that drink heavily, as it takes little cash play to get a comp drink and for those that don't care about the big sights of the strip. And as 69Coronetrt said, the Golden Nugget is the nicest of Fremont, though the prices are as much as the more modest places on the strip.

If you want to experience the strip and maybe see a Cirque show or a comedian like Jay Leno and don't want to spend to much, then the Luxor is ok, but a little isolated. For a more central location for easier walking at a comparable rack rate, I would recommend NY/NY or even Treasure Island has a $79 deal. As for getting around, if you don't wand to cab/ride serv, then take the city bus and get a 24 pass; you can get a bus from the airport and get to the strip or Fremont and the buses are tourist friendly with easy to understand routes and advice.

The resort charges can double or significantly increase your room costs on the strip. I normally stay at the Stratosphere because room rates are very cheap but when adding in the resort fee its another $40/night. But I've also stayed on Freemont street and I like it better, even though they still charge the resort fee. If you want really cheap I hear they have a few flea-bag motels beside the strip with no resort fees.

Cabs have set fares to and from the airport to the strip hotels. I think it was around $25.

Trump Tower off strip is nice. On strip we stay in the Venitian. Bellagio is nice, Paris is too. Circus Circus would not be in my top 10.

Dusting this thread off...

Heading to Vegas in a couple of months and looking for suggestions.

Last time I was in Vegas was 25 years ago and Im sure a lot has changed. My girlfriend on the other hand has never been to Vegas and I want her to have the full experience, so we are staying on the strip. We will definitely go to Fremont at some point along with Hoover Dam. Probably just rent the car for Hoover for the day and take cabs everywhere else.

We will be doing a Thursday-Sunday deal. 4 days 3 nights. Want a good hotel, not a flea-bag or a dirty, run-down one. Also want to hit a yummy buffet. No shows, just gambling, drinks and food.

:thankyou:

Dusting this thread off...

Heading to Vegas in a couple of months and looking for suggestions.

Last time I was in Vegas was 25 years ago and Im sure a lot has changed. My girlfriend on the other hand has never been to Vegas and I want her to have the full experience, so we are staying on the strip. We will definitely go to Fremont at some point along with Hoover Dam. Probably just rent the car for Hoover for the day and take cabs everywhere else.

We will be doing a Thursday-Sunday deal. 4 days 3 nights. Want a good hotel, not a flea-bag or a dirty, run-down one. Also want to hit a yummy buffet. No shows, just gambling, drinks and food.

:thankyou:

If you want to get out of town for a day and do a nice walk, Red Rock Canyon is at the western edge of LV and a nice get away. Valley of Fire State park is further away and north east of Vegas but it is a very scenic drive and offers some hiking opportunity.

Head east of the main Fremont street attractions to container park and get some ice cream.

I'm not sure if the pinball hall of fame is still open but if yes, it's a great way to spend a shitload of quarters! Old school pinball, air hockey and vintage arcade games.

If you want to get out of town for a day and do a nice walk, Red Rock Canyon is at the western edge of LV and a nice get away. Valley of Fire State park is further away and north east of Vegas but it is a very scenic drive and offers some hiking opportunity.

Head east of the main Fremont street attractions to container park and get some ice cream.

I'm not sure if the pinball hall of fame is still open but if yes, it's a great way to spend a shitload of quarters! Old school pinball, air hockey and vintage arcade games.
Thank you Doug! Red Rock sounds nice.

Ha! Ill have to look into the pinball hall of fame. Love old arcade games.

We really like staying at the South Point. Technically, it's on the strip but is farther south than the main strip hotels, just south of McCarren Airport. It's still family owned and has 11 restaurants including a buffet, a huge bowling alley, movie theater, and rodeo venue. The weekday rate are usually a bargain. We always rent a car so getting around isn't an issue. If you're walking and/or want to be closer to the action, one of the main strip hotels is a better option. The last couple of years, my wife scored us a pretty good rate and nice room at the Sahara for part of our trip.

And yes @69Coronetrt , the Pinball Hall of Fame is still open. They moved to a large building on Las Vegas Blvd just north of the iconic 'Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas' sign and adjacent to McCarren. Best $10 workout in town!

This place under a hundred. No breakfast included. North, closer so the strip. We’re driving so didn’t want to deal with traffic and Valet. Up near Craig. Kinda marooned without a car, but handy for LVMS.

B0F46629-C39A-49E1-8B78-EF99E2E0DBE8.jpeg

Plan to see the Neon Museum and Valley of Fire State Park.

Auto Transport Service
Back