• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How did you guys find your car?

shadango

Local time
10:47 PM
Reaction score
I am searching and keeping an eye out for an old mopar......B, A or E.....

Have been looking a while and have realized that this is a journey....LOL

So, if you dont think its a lame question, how did you find YOUR first MOPAR? ANd what had you gone through to find it, get it, etc? Did it take a long time to find it or did you just happen upon it one day and that was it?

My FIRST Mopar was obtained in 1996 2 days after I graduated High School, it was a Gold 1975 Plymouth Fury that was parked in front of a Junkyard about 2 miles from my house with $200 written on the windshield. Had a 360 HP motor and ran excellent, dash was cracked and there was a crease down the side of the body. But I loved that car...it got me hooked on Mopars.

I bought my A12 car after answering a local auto trader ad.. First car I have ever looked at that was actually in better shape than was described!
Still love it! It took a couple of years of looking before I found a car I was willing to actually buy! This ended a two year search for a Bee and I had no intention of getting an A12 car.
KID

Last edited:
I found my Dart on craigslist in New Hampshire.
I spent about oh, 3 weeks looking, just entering my price range into craigslist and entering Dart, Scamp, Demon, Duster over and over in each region until I found something that was worth going to look at.
I got my Dart for $1800, and it was listed on craigslist for $2500, so I think I got a pretty good deal for an overall pretty solid car with a decent interior and a running engine.

Ive always been into fords.. But wanted a Mopar.. I just finished building a turbo foxbody, an had a friend who had the 64 Fury.. We worked out a trade.. An now im starting from scratch,, again...

Found my 68 Roadrunner on CollectorCarTrader and my 65 Dodge on Moparts. Since I live in Europe, the internet is the main source. Spend about 6 months finding a car that suited my needs. 2rd sedans are hard to find, let alone in Europe (like...almost none).

I had been looking for a charger for 2+ years, it was a nice Sunday afternoon and decided to go for a drive on backroads (I used to do this when I was looking for a car). Well I was traveling some backroads in Tennesse, I decided it was time to go home so I made my way back to the main highway. When I reached the highway, I came out across from a service station, and sitting there in the parking lot, was a 69 RT... I couldnt believe my eyes, all this riding around looking paid off! I wrote the number down that was on the service station sign, called the next day, he said it was for sale, he wanted 3 grand. Then I took off work Tuesday to go get it.

Jason

They're still in hiding. Just waiting to be found. I ran across a 71 Cuda sitting behind a house out in the sticks today.. Not for sale, but never know unless you ask. Always leave a number just in case.

Well, I have built many Gm vehicles from my 59 caddy to my 72 camino ss 454. I had orginally decided I wanted to build an older car, so I bought a 53 Chevy Coupe. Piddled around with it for awhile,got bored with it, traded it for a 1996 ZX6R Ninja. Well, turns out crotch rockets , especially ones built for racing, and myself just didnt get along too well. So I was surfing Craigslist for something new to play with that was either a harley or had 4 wheels on it, and then I came across this 73 Satellite. The picture of it was small and not all that good, so I surfed the net looking for better pics, ( most of which turned up endless amounts of RoadRunner clones), but I started looking at the body lines, and was like " hey, that might be cool", and in the guys ad he was looking for trades and had "katana" listed. Well, the ZX6R is a much better bike than the katana, so I thought I'd give it a shot. 1 week later he delivers the car to me and I fell in love. I sold off my custom show truck AND my 300zx twin turbo to fund this project, and so far so good:grin:

I found our '71 Charger on carsonline.com I've also sold 2 cars on that site.

The first one I bought was my T5 runner. Let's travel back in time to just after the earth had cooled and land was rising out of the oceans lol.

Anyway, it was 1976 and I was working as a manager at a movie house. Every Friday night I had to make a trip to the post office downtown. This took me by the Plymouth dealership that was a couple blocks down the street. Well as I was passing by I glanced over and saw this beautiful bronze B body sitting on the front row, on the end of the row, right under the big lights.

So on my way back I stopped in for a look. I didn't see any hood stripes so I didn't think it was a runner. It was. As I walked up to it from behind I saw the bench seat and thought it wasn't a 4 speed. It was!

I was in love. I went back the next day and drove it, taking it by the house for the folks to see. (to shorten the story a bit if it isn't to late already) Monday my dad went back to the dealership with me and negotiated the deal. Grandma loaned me the money and the rest as they say is history.

Or is it??????

I found my '64 Barracuda thru the Collector Car Tader on Line web site, looking in my regionnal section. It turned out the car was less then 20 miles away from me. My '69 Roadrunner was found on Ebay. It was offered by a dealer that was about 100 miles away. After it missed the reserve for the second time I called the dealer, and bought the car.

I have found most of my cars by word of mouth or in the local newspaper. The Charger I found out about by talking to another Charger owner at a car show I was at with my Chevelle.

i just found my 'new' 68 satellite on craigs list

MY 1966 HEMI CAR PURCHASE

I purchased this car at the Pamona California swap meet in 2002. It was a
Sunday afternoon around 2:30 and things were starting to wind down. I saw
my soon to be 1966 Dodge 2 door sedan pull in on a trailer. I went over to the
trailer as I was leaving to see the car. There was an engine strapped to the front
of the trailer under the tarp.

The couple pulling the trailer jumped out and you could see that they were
stressed out. I asked a few questions about the car and introduced myself. I said
"your getting here kind of late, things are about over." The related that it had
been a bad day. They had borrowed the trailer, got a late start, flat tire on the
trailer, and had planned on being there in the morning. This was a guy helping
his girlfriend get rid of a car her ex-husband had bought and never finished.

There were no emblems on the car, but there were holes where the engine call
outs should be. There was a big block in the car, a 4 speed hump and a clutch
pedal in it, but it had an aftermarket auto shifter on the floor. I asked what the
engine was under the tarp and she replied "it is the car's original engine." I
asked if I could look at it and was shocked when I pulled the tarp back and saw
a 426 Hemi! I quickly put the tarp back in place. I then looked at the V.I.N. and
consulted my Galen Govier white books, confirming that this WAS a factory
Hemi car. I asked if she had the title and she said no. I said "it is going to be
hard to sell a car without a title." She said that it never had one. She then
proceeded to tell me that her ex-husband had bought this car from the widow
of the man that bought it new and that the car had never had a title and it had
been bought new to be a race car. She said that her ex-husband really had no
business buying the car in the first place because he had no mechanical
ability or extra money to do anything with the car. She said it had been sitting
in the backyard for over 10 years. She was obviously NOT happy.

I gave her $100.00 for a deposit for a first right of refusal on a sale if I
determined I could buy the car, wrote down the V.I.N. and said I will be back
in 10 minutes. As I was walking away another couple of guys were walking
towards the car and asked me what the story was. I said "I am not really sure
but they don't have a title for it, and I am not going to buy a car without a title,
it might be stolen." They stopped right there, turned and walked away. I called
the California State Police, gave them the V.I.N. and asked if it had ever been
reported stolen, as the seller had no title and I was interested in buying it. They
said no, there was no report of it being stolen and in fact there was not even a
record of it ever being registered. This jived with what the seller said so I went
back and began negotiating the price of the car. After I had made the deal I
asked if she had the name and contact information of the previous owner. She
said "no, her ex-husband just drug it home one day and all she knew was what
he had told her. I can only assume that the original owner bought the car on a
manufacturers statement of origin (MSO) and it had never been titled since he
never intended to license it for the street.

My first mopar and first car was my '78 aspen SE. My dad and I were working on his '49 Plymouth and he wanted to do a fmj front suspension conversion. He went to a tow truck company auction and ended up comping home with a '82? doba and a '78 aspen SE. I thought the aspen was the ugliest thing in the world and wanted to cut it up right then and there. He talked my out of it, saying that we should cut up the doba first because it was in worse shape.
I reluctantly agreed. Both cars were bought for $50 each and both ran with 318s in them.
By the time I was 14 I had started looking at aspens on line and discovered what the R/T looked like, I was hooked.
The car in SE trim was butt ugly but in R/T form it was sweet!

Anyway I have a little more into the aspen now and a few more mopars but my aspen as still my favorite.

MY 1966 HEMI CAR PURCHASE

I purchased this car at the Pamona California swap meet in 2002. It was a
Sunday afternoon around 2:30 and things were starting to wind down. I saw
my soon to be 1966 Dodge 2 door sedan pull in on a trailer. I went over to the
trailer as I was leaving to see the car. There was an engine strapped to the front
of the trailer under the tarp.

The couple pulling the trailer jumped out and you could see that they were
stressed out. I asked a few questions about the car and introduced myself. I said
"your getting here kind of late, things are about over." The related that it had
been a bad day. They had borrowed the trailer, got a late start, flat tire on the
trailer, and had planned on being there in the morning. This was a guy helping
his girlfriend get rid of a car her ex-husband had bought and never finished.

There were no emblems on the car, but there were holes where the engine call
outs should be. There was a big block in the car, a 4 speed hump and a clutch
pedal in it, but it had an aftermarket auto shifter on the floor. I asked what the
engine was under the tarp and she replied "it is the car's original engine." I
asked if I could look at it and was shocked when I pulled the tarp back and saw
a 426 Hemi! I quickly put the tarp back in place. I then looked at the V.I.N. and
consulted my Galen Govier white books, confirming that this WAS a factory
Hemi car. I asked if she had the title and she said no. I said "it is going to be
hard to sell a car without a title." She said that it never had one. She then
proceeded to tell me that her ex-husband had bought this car from the widow
of the man that bought it new and that the car had never had a title and it had
been bought new to be a race car. She said that her ex-husband really had no
business buying the car in the first place because he had no mechanical
ability or extra money to do anything with the car. She said it had been sitting
in the backyard for over 10 years. She was obviously NOT happy.

I gave her $100.00 for a deposit for a first right of refusal on a sale if I
determined I could buy the car, wrote down the V.I.N. and said I will be back
in 10 minutes. As I was walking away another couple of guys were walking
towards the car and asked me what the story was. I said "I am not really sure
but they don't have a title for it, and I am not going to buy a car without a title,
it might be stolen." They stopped right there, turned and walked away. I called
the California State Police, gave them the V.I.N. and asked if it had ever been
reported stolen, as the seller had no title and I was interested in buying it. They
said no, there was no report of it being stolen and in fact there was not even a
record of it ever being registered. This jived with what the seller said so I went
back and began negotiating the price of the car. After I had made the deal I
asked if she had the name and contact information of the previous owner. She
said "no, her ex-husband just drug it home one day and all she knew was what
he had told her. I can only assume that the original owner bought the car on a
manufacturers statement of origin (MSO) and it had never been titled since he
never intended to license it for the street.

So did you get it for a steal? (No pun intended) Cant believe no one else had looked at it and did the same process you did! That was just meant to be!

I found my first mopar in the Gundakers Chrysler Plymouth showroom in Belmar, NJ and bought it in 1967....Was a 67 GTX...I was 18.

Auto Transport Service
Back