• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I clean gunk and grease from seat tracks?

dspur

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:09 AM
Reaction score
Have bench seat tracks, they do not come apart. All "gunky" inside and I need to clean them up. Have used parts washer but they need to be soaked in something I guess? Suggestions? Also, what type of grease to put back in when I install them?
TIA

Mineral spirits will clean em up.

Mineral spirits will clean em up.
yeah needs to be something that do the job by soaking, can't get to most of it with brushes, etc. That is what I was going to try absent some other suggestions.

What kind of solvent are you using in your parts washer? My parts washer solvent will eat away at just about anything petroleum based, the old dried grease should break loose....just leave the parts washer running and spraying on the area and it will soften within a few hours and then can be brushed clean.

Make a tray from a cardboard box and some 6 mil poly. Set the track in it and fill it with AV gas.. and the grease will be gone.

If you can't scrub the crud then you're fighting a losing battle. Soaking alone won't do a whole lot. Shove a strip of scotchbrite in the grooves and move it around with a pick or piece of wire.

White lithium grease is just that ... white !! And if it gets anywhere but on the tracks its a bitch to clean up. I don't even keep that **** around anymore.

Chain and wire rope lube works awesome. It sprays on easily then the propellant evaporates leaving a thin clear film of grease. Wipe off any excess with a rag with a bit of solvent.

1006156-19A.jpg

What kind of solvent are you using in your parts washer? My parts washer solvent will eat away at just about anything petroleum based, the old dried grease should break loose....just leave the parts washer running and spraying on the area and it will soften within a few hours and then can be brushed clean.
guess I just need to leave it there longer...

Make a tray from a cardboard box and some 6 mil poly. Set the track in it and fill it with AV gas.. and the grease will be gone.
I thought about that, may be next. I have a plane and easy access to avgas.

I took my 6 way seat base apart. And I'm glad i did. It was missing a part from the factory it had metal to metal contact and would not have worked correctly just by cleaning it. So after disassembly, I greased and painted it. And works so good that it's as good as new or better.

ATF and mineral spirits if you want to soak it.

I pulled mine apart. You have to drill out the front rivet to pull apart and just weld it back.
20170118_195456.jpg
20170118_195641.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back